All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

  1. Today
  2. Two T4s or Family T4 Submission

    If you meet both conditions described by the CRA.
  3. Two T4s or Family T4 Submission

    Thank you Antoine. So the amount does not depend on the value of the home purchased and I can enter 5000 in line 369, right?
  4. Two T4s or Family T4 Submission
  5. Yesterday
  6. Foreign Rental Income -- error message

    Thanks for this Antoine. I had initially followed the steps you set out above. But, with the addition of the T776 for the foreign property, I now have a total of 6 rental income T776s. It seems as if the Ufile system is counting the "Foreign income - rental" as another "Financial Statement" because the system is saying I can't Netfile my return because of this error: You are reporting more than 6 business schedules, T777, and TL2 statements. I actually DON'T have "MORE" than 6 business schedules. It seems as if Ufile may be counting both the T776 and the "Foreign income - rental" as two separate business schedules when they relate to the same issue. If I delete the T776 the error goes away but the net loss on the foreign property isn't factored into my return. is there a workaround to this issue? I only have 6 (not more than 6) -- but I'd still like to file using Netfile.
  7. Rejected - NAICS Code

    I have been escalated all the way through to the top of the CRA's help and tech support options. They are absolutely adamant that the problem is that Ufile has not updated its software. You guys updated it for 2017, but you need to update the software for prior year returns with the new NAICS codes as well, so that I stop getting the Ufile error message that prevents me from getting to the Netfile stage. You cannot simply choose any code - you have to use the code that actually corresponds to your business. If you are not going to fix this bug, then I would like a refund so that I can file with a different provider. Thank you, Kristen
  8. Two T4s or Family T4 Submission

    Thank you, that was really useful. How do I know the amount to be filled in for first-time home buyers' tax credit. What amount should we enter there? Will the amount be available ins sale agreement/lawyer's documents? Also this should be shown only under family head's returns and not spouse's returns, right?
  9. Foreign Rental Income -- error message

    Hi bb_sam, Foreign rental income To enter the amount of foreign rental income, you have two procedures to perform. A. First, you must produce a rental income statement form by following these steps: 1. In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup". 2. On the right-hand side of the screen, go to the "Rental income" group, check the boxes for "Rental property income" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page. 3. In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Rental Income" and on the right-hand side, choose "T776 - Rental income property". 4. Since the building is located outside of Canada, you have 3 choices. A) On page "T776 - Rental Property Identification". You can leave the "Address of the rental property" blank and the program will use your home address of Canada and you may submit your return via NETFILE. B) Your second choice, which we favor, in the section "Address of the rental property" you indicate the civic number of the foreign property on the line "Street" and the line "City" you enter the city and state and the country. However, you indicate your province of Canadian residence and your Canadian postal code. You will be able to send by NETFILE. C) If you enter the full address of the property in the country where your property is located, you will not be able to submit your return by NETFILE, and then you must mail it to Revenue Canada. 5. Once the information regarding the identification of the property has been entered, click "Next" at the bottom of this page and you will have access to the items "Income, expenses", "Labour costs", "CCA" and "Partners" in the "Left side menu on the Interview tab". Complete the sections that relate to your situation. B. Then, as a second operation, you must enter your net rental income and foreign taxes paid in the foreign income section by following these steps: 1. Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup". 2. On the right-hand side of the screen, go to the "Investment income and expenses" group, check the boxes for "Foreign income or foreign property (T1135)" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page. 3. Select "Foreign income & property" and in the screen to your right, click the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Foreign rental income". 4. On the page entitled "Foreign income - rental", indicate the country where the income was earned and other relevant information, enter the net rental income on the line "Foreign business income entered as business income". If applicable, enter the "Amount of foreign tax paid" on this rental income and click "Next" at the bottom of the page. Form T2209 will be produced by the program and the program will tell you if you are eligible for the federal foreign tax credit. While for residents of Quebec, form TP-772 will be generated by the program and will show you on line 49 the foreign tax credit. The foreign tax credit will be carried forward by the program to line 405 of federal Schedule 1 and line 409 of Schedule E of Quebec, Foreign Tax Credit. In addition, the program will generate federal form T776 - Statement of Real Estate Rentals, as well as form TP-128 - Income and Expenses Respecting the Rental of Immovable Property. For more information, please consult the following link: Remember, if your foreign property has a value above $100 000 CAN., do not forget to indicate at "CRA questions" and complete the "T1135 Foreign Income Verification Statement".
  10. Two T4s or Family T4 Submission

    Hi, We suggest that you produce a family file including the family head, spouse and dependent; Home Buyers' Amount To claim the first-time home buyers' tax credit, please follow the steps below: 1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Other déductions and credits". 2- Then, in the page that appears on the right, select the option "Schedule 1 line 369 - Home buyers' amount for the purchase of a qualifying home". 3- Finally, enter the information that applies to your situation. For more information, consult the following link:
  11. I have a foreign property that generates income but has a negative net income (with interest expenses being incurred in Canada and in the foreign country). Initially, I completed both a T776, and the Foreign Property Income statement under the T1135 interview setup. Since I have other Canadian rental properties, the addition of the T776 triggered a NetFile error -- I had a total of 6 T776s but Ufile said I couldn't efile because of a rule that "more than 6" business statements have to paper file. So, I deleted the T776 and kept the T1135 and the accompanying Foreign rental income sheet. I was able to properly record the income and net loss on the Foreign Rental Income form. But, when the system calculates things properly, I am getting an error that says: "You entered information regarding foreign rental income without entering an amount for the net income." The message below the error suggests that the same amount must be entered on the Foreign Rental Income form in the "Gross amount of foreign business income" and "Net Foreign Business income or loss". When I submit the report this way, the error goes away but the income and loss are not reflected as either income or an offset to the income from my Canadian rental properties. More importantly, it looks like Ufile is doubling the loss when I do this -- which seems pointless since it isn't even using that loss for any purpose. Not sure what to do to correct this?
  12. I made a mistake

    Hello steskey5426, How to request an adjustment (reassessment) to a tax return You can use the program to make an adjustment to a tax return that has already been filed. Make sure you have received your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return. NOTE: We recommend that you keep your previously filed tax return, and prepare separately an amended tax return based on the changes you make. Print this amended tax return and compare it with your original tax return. Take note of the line numbers that are affected, as you will need them when completing your adjustment request. To do so, please follow these steps: 1- In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click on "Interview setup". 2- On the page that appears to the right, scroll down to the "Other topics" section, check the box for "Adjustment request for a tax return that has been filed" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page. 3- Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and, on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the plus "+" symbol to the right of the form you need, either "T1-ADJ adjust a federal tax return" or for Quebec residents "TP-1.R adjust a Quebec tax return". 4- Select the "Taxation year" you want to correct from the drop-down menu to your right, and then enter the relevant information. 5- For the question "Line number of the jacket regarding the adjustment", choose the one that applies from the drop-down menu. Then, on the next two lines, enter respectively the amount that was claimed on the original tax return, followed by the revised amount to be claimed on the amended tax return. 6- If you have multiple lines to correct, click on "+ Add another" to add additional lines. 7- If you have additional information or explanations, fill out the bottom section. If needed, attach a separate sheet with your adjustment request by recording the necessary information. If applicable, provide also the corresponding line number for the credit. 8- For Québec residents who wish to amend both their federal and Québec returns, in the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", click again on "Adjustment request" at the bottom of the list and repeat the procedure. 9- Once you have completed your adjustment request(s), click on the fourth tab "Tax Return". 10- Double check to make sure the adjustment request(s) are completed correctly. Then, click on the "Print" icon, choose the option "Selected pages" and on the list to the right, select the pages to print, i.e. the forms T1-ADJ (federal) and/or TP-1.R (Quebec). To select multiple pages, press and hold the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard when clicking the pages to print from the list. Finally, click on the button "Start printing". Please note that you cannot submit an adjustment request electronically via NETFILE. You must print and mail the T1-ADJ and/or the TP-1.R. Be sure to sign your request(s) and provide all supporting documents. Also, please make sure to include a telephone number where the CRA and/or Revenu Quebec may contact you during the day. The CRA will send you a Notice of Reassessment once your adjustment request has been processed. Revenu Québec will do the same once they processed your TP-1.R form. If you wish, you can also amend your tax return online by using "My Account" on the CRA website. For more information, please visit the following links: For CRA: For Revenu Quebec:
  13. Hi, Percentage interest in the partnership: leave it blank.
  14. error meaage . cant file electronic

    Started a separate thread
  15. Then what should I fill in the following fields of T776 form 50% or 100% (and UFile will split later on 50/50)?
  16. Thank you for such detailed answer. In my case most suitable is: Generate rental income statement for spouse option. So I need to fill 50% since me and my wife own it 50/50, correct? And no T776 on my spouse page, right?
  17. Last week
  18. There will be two tabs under one file. You can toggle back and forth between the two. Once both are complete, each must be Netfiled separately.
  19. I made a mistake

    I filed my husband and my tax returns. They were received by the government. A couple of hours later, I realized I should have added a dependent. So I went back in to my software added the dependent and all the required information, and filed his return. My question is: Will the government receive my adjusted return? or will they have access only to the return I initially filed? Is there some type of action I need to take? I noticed the only difference was that I received more Provincial tax credits. Thanks for your time
  20. Two T4s or Family T4 Submission

    I was on rent for half of year 2017 and later bought a home. For tax credits such as child activity(6 years kid), rent and first time home registration, do we need to show it in tax file of me and my spouse OR in any one's tax file? What is advisable - to submit 2 separate individual T4s OR one Family T4?
  21. Schedule 5 - Line 315

    Hi, To help you better, we suggest that you send your request to the UFile support group.
  22. If you are the Family head and you have added your spouse, it means your returns are in one file. So, you must complete these two returns together and use the service NetFile to submit them.
  23. Schedule 5 - Line 315

    "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?" does not appear under " Controls for dependent" on my Ufile. I just need to know how to access. All other requirements have been fulfilled, including your last.

    Hi j5v, We are sorry to encounter this waiting time, but as you know we are receiving a high volume of calls. What kind of error message that you have?
  25. Do My Husband and I, have to file 2 returns?

    How do I know if I have both returns within one file? I am the Family Head, I added my spouse and filled out the "complete" under interview setup. So now that I am done, and it has been sent/filed, does my husband have to start his own?
  26. Hi steskey5426, Regardless of whether you are preparing two separate returns in two different files, or two returns in a single file, each taxpayer must submit his/her own return only once.
  27. Contribution to an RRSP

    Hi flash_os, You have to use (London Life) slip to report your RRSPs in RRSP contributions, limits section. However, what is written on T4 slip should be entered in T4 section, in the Other information section.
  28. Home office

    Hi justw9, We suggest that each one of you can claim his / her own percentage of the office used for business purposes in his / her own business form: (Revenues vs. Expenses). In addition, each one of you can indicate the actual percentage used of your home for personal reasons. For more information regarding home office expenses, please consult the following links: For the CRA: For Revenu Québec:
  1. Load more activity