Français

T4A box 020 is present, make sure this amount is also included within a business grouping

Nick

Hello,

I am self-employed and earn commissions. I have filled out the "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income" form as well as the "T2125 - Commission income" form and can find no error in the way that I have entered everything. The results at the end seem to reflect accurately too, however it gives me a warning and says I cannot file to netfile:

-"T4A box 020 is present, make sure this amount is also included within a business grouping"

-"The amount in T4A boc 020 must also be reported as business income"

As far as I can tell, both of these are done already....any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

You have received a T4A slip with an amount in box 020 for the commissions you received as self-employed. To enter this amount in the program, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" to the left of the screen, select "Pension income, T4A, split pension".

2- On the page that appears on the right, select "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

3- On the newly generated page, select "Box 020 - self-employment commissions (report this amount as a T2125 - Commission income)" and enter the amount from box 020 of the T4A slip.

4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click again on "Interview setup".

5- On the page that appears on the right, select the "Self-employment business income" and click Next".

6- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "Self-employment income" and, on the page appearing on the right, select "T2125 - Commission income".

7- On the page "Business identification", enter the name on the line "Name of the professional business (or your own name if the business does not have one)", then record the other information in the required fields marked with a red asterisk.

8- In the field for "6-digit code from the North American industry classification system", enter the code that best describes your industry. If you do not know the code, click on the tool tip (the question mark) (?) on the right-hand side of the box to get it.

9- In the section "Income and expenses", enter $0.00 for the line "Gross sales, commissions or fees" and enter the amount in box 020 of the T4A slip in the field "Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020)". If you have expenses, enter them in the boxes corresponding to their description.

The amount will be reported on lines 166 and 139 of the federal return, as well as on line 154 of the Quebec return and on line 25 of Quebec Schedule L, if applicable. The program will also generate federal form T2125, as well as Quebec form TP-80 if required.

• 5 weeks later...

Had same issue.  Resolved it.  Set the value in the T4A Box 20 to $0.00, and enter the value that was supposed to be there on a business/professional/commission income.  It appears that any non-0 value entered into T4A Box 20 will make UFile complain.

Suggestions:

1) Reword the hint on the T4A to "report this amount as a T2125 - Business of Professional income INSTEAD"

2) Disable the entry box on the T4A, since any number there will cause issues

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

I had the same problem when filing my T4A slips in 2019.  I am self-employed as a consultant in Investors Group and I receive commissions from both the investment side and insurance products.

Here is how to do it correctly:

1. At the navigation column to the left of the screen, select interview setup.

2. Look for the group box that says "Pension."

3. Click the only box in this group that says "Pension income, other income and split pension income ..." 

4. Before navigating to another screen, look for the group box that says "Self-employment."

5. Click the first box that says "Self-employed business income."

6. Click on T4A and pension income on the navigation column.

7. Look for T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity and other income to your right, click on the + button (HINT: if you have more than 1 T4A issued, you will have to repeat this step for each T4A issued. In my case, I had to complete 2 of these pages.)

8. Input issuer name in first row, your commissions in box 020. Click NEXT button on bottom right of screen.

9. Look below in the errors/warning/information screen, you should see a warning that says T4A - Self-employment commissions (box 20) ... click on the Commission income link. 

10. Look to the right, click on the + button in the Self-employment income screen at the end of the line that says T2125C - Commission income.

11. Enter the required fields including the appropriate NAICRs code. I used my name as the business name in this example. Click NEXT button on bottom right of screen.

12. Input your commissions in the data field beside Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020). (HINT: only input the amount shown on the first T4A - do not total the amounts for more than one T4A.)  Complete the rest of the screen if appropriate. Click NEXT button on bottom right of screen. Navigate your way through the rest of the screens i.e. motor vehicle expenses, home office expenses, etc.

13. Repeat steps 6, 7, and 8 for your second T4A.

14. Click on Self-employment income on the navigation column.

15. Look to the right, click on the + button in the Self-employment income screen at the end of the line that says T2125C - Commission income.

16. Enter the required fields including the appropriate NAICRs code. I used my name as the business name in this example. Click NEXT button on bottom right of screen.

17. Input your commissions in the data field beside Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020). (HINT: only input the amount shown on the second T4A - do not total the amounts for more than one T4A.)  Complete the rest of the screen if appropriate. Click NEXT button on bottom right of screen. Navigate your way through the rest of the screens i.e. motor vehicle expenses, home office expenses, etc.

18. Click on the 3 REVIEW tab at the top toolbar to check if all calculations are made without warnings and errors.

19. If everything was inputted correctly, you should see Calculation Finished at the top of the screen, review messages on any warnings you receive, correct the warnings, click on the 3 REVIEW tab at the top toolbar to recheck if your tax return is ready to be filed. (i.e. it is without warnings and errors).

20. To enter charitable donations, medical expenses, and any other relevant information, return to 2 INTERVIEW.

Your tax return should be ready to be e-Filed after completing the above steps. Be sure to view/print your tax return first, then net file it second.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/27/2013 at 9:03 AM, Gabriel said:

You have received a T4A slip with an amount in box 020 for the commissions you received as self-employed. To enter this amount in the program, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" to the left of the screen, select "Pension income, T4A, split pension".

2- On the page that appears on the right, select "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

3- On the newly generated page, select "Box 020 - self-employment commissions (report this amount as a T2125 - Commission income)" and enter the amount from box 020 of the T4A slip.

4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click again on "Interview setup".

5- On the page that appears on the right, select the "Self-employment business income" and click Next".

6- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "Self-employment income" and, on the page appearing on the right, select "T2125 - Commission income".

7- On the page "Business identification", enter the name on the line "Name of the professional business (or your own name if the business does not have one)", then record the other information in the required fields marked with a red asterisk.

8- In the field for "6-digit code from the North American industry classification system", enter the code that best describes your industry. If you do not know the code, click on the tool tip (the question mark) (?) on the right-hand side of the box to get it.

9- In the section "Income and expenses", enter $0.00 for the line "Gross sales, commissions or fees" and enter the amount in box 020 of the T4A slip in the field "Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020)". If you have expenses, enter them in the boxes corresponding to their description.

The amount will be reported on lines 166 and 139 of the federal return, as well as on line 154 of the Quebec return and on line 25 of Quebec Schedule L, if applicable. The program will also generate federal form T2125, as well as Quebec form TP-80 if required.

Tried this and it still didn't work unable to file Federal return electronically. Any other ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Rosalina,

Have an entry from a T4A Box 020 that must also be entered in a T2125 – Commission

T4A :

Self-employed commissions (report also this amount as a T2125 - Commission income 020  $amount

T2125 :

Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020) (Enter the total if you have more than one amount)  $amount