Français

Husband is non-resident, how do I declare his income?

Caboose

My husband worked overseas in 2016, therefore he is considered a non-resident of Canada for the taxation year. Myself and my children remained in Canada so I will file for the family, excluding my husband. However, I am obliged to declare my husband's income "while living together in Canada" or the program won't work. How do I do that if there's no income to declare? Is there a work-around?

Hi Caboose,

To determine your residency status, you must first contact the CRA to obtain their views, either by contacting them by phone at 1-800-267-5177 if calling from Canada or the United States, or by consulting the following link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/menu-eng.html

If you are a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Identification".

2- On the "Family head identification" page, you must complete all fields.

3- For the line "Province of residence on December 31, 2016 ", select the option "Deemed resident" from the drop-down menu to your right and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

4- Enter the other required information to complete your return.

If you are a factual resident of Canada for tax purposes, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- On the right-hand side of the screen, check the box for "Immigrant, emigrant or non-resident taxpayer", and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Immigrant, emigrant, non-resident" and, on the screen to your right, choose the line "Information about your residency status".

4- On the page "Information about your residency status", on the line "Information about residency status", choose the option "Factual resident" from the drop-down menu to your right and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

5- Enter the information necessary to complete your return.

Federal Schedule D will be generated by the program.

Archived