Photo

Should this person be treated as a dependant by the program?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 leeanng

leeanng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

I have two children and have expenses for both of them.  I am divorced and realize that the program only allows for 1 eligible dependent to be claimed, and would like to allow their father to claim one of the children as an eligible dependent. 

When I get to the CONTROLS section of the children I notice there are two spots that ask about dependent status.  One asks "Should this person be treated as a dependant by the program?" which I think I should indicate "yes" to for both children as I am claiming child care expenses etc. 

The other asks "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?"  Do I indicate no for one child here and then Dad indicates yes for that same child? Would this be the correct way to handle this situation?

I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere I have looked!!

Thank you in advance :-)

#2 Bretonix

Bretonix

Advanced Member

• UFile Support
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

You are right, the control to use is "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?".

Select "Yes" in the Controls page for the child you want to claim on your line 305.

Dad will select "Yes" in the Controls page for the other child.

#3 leeanng

leeanng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

Yes but my question was more regarding the other box on the page called "Should this person be treated as a dependant by the program?". 

Should this one also say no for the child I am not claiming as an eligible dependant, or is there ever a case that this should not "match" the other box "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2013 UFile.ca, Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy