Please disregard the answer to your other post...
You may be able to claim this amount if, at any time in the year, you met all of the following conditions at once:
* You do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
* You supported a dependant in 2016;
* You lived with the dependant in a home that you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.
In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant must also have been either.
* Your parent or grandparent by blood relationship, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption;
* Your child, your grandchildren, brother or sister and she is under18 years of age or has, an impairment in physical or mental functions.
To claim the amount for an eligible dependant, you must first create the dependant's file.To create this file, follow the steps below:
1. On the "Interview" tab, click on "Add dependant" on the line to the right;
2. On the page entitled "Dependant identification", enter the dependant's information. Please note that the lines preceded by a red asterisk are mandatory fields.
3. If the dependant is an adult, you must complete the page
"CRA questions", as well as the "Revenu Québec questions" for residents of Quebec and claim the solidarity tax credit.
4. If you have multiple several dependents, repeat step 1.
Once the dependant's file has been created, and you meet the eligibility criteria (see link below), the program will make the claim for the eligible dependant amount automatically with no additional entries required.
If you have 2 or more children, the program will automatically select the child for whom the eligible dependant amount will be claimed. However, if you want to choose a specific child for this claim, please follow these steps:
1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" of the child's file, located on the left-hand side, click on "Controls".
2. Then, on the page appearing on the right, select "Let MaxBack decide" to the question "Claim this dependant as the eligible dependant on federal Schedule 1 line 305?".
The program will claim the eligible dependant amount on line 305 of Schedule 1 of the Federal return, and line 5816 of your provincial forms (other than Quebec, which does not have an equivalent form).
For additional information on the eligible dependent amount, please consult this link: