Français

HOW TO ADD PREVIOUS YEAR DONATIONS

Ressurect88

I have some pre-2016 donations (from 2014 and 2015). that i have deferred claiming.

Given I deferred claiming these donations, I did not enter them into my uFile tax return in 2014 and 2015.

While doing my tax returns for 2016, i recently found out i can add the donations, but choose not to claim.  The value i believe is that ufile will keep track of these donations and carry forward in the system.

My question now is, is it possible to add the donations i made in 2014/2015 but back date them, in my 2016 return? or can i do it some other way?

Any help would be appreciated! :)  :D  :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

You want to know how to carry forward the donations over several years and benefit from a more advantageous tax credit.

As a first step, let us specify that this applies to usual charitable donations. The maximum period is 5 years.

For more information on charitable donations, please consult the following links:

For the federal:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/tax-return/completing-a-tax-return/deductions-credits-expenses/line-349-donations-gifts.html

For Quebec:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoyen/declaration/produire/comment/aideligne/ligne395.aspx

To carry forward charitable donations, please follow these steps:

1. On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Donations/political contributions".

2. On the page generated on the right, scroll down to the "Sharing and Optimization" group and click the plus sign "+" icon to the right of the line "Sharing donations between spouses and optimization of donations".

3. On the page titled "Optimization of donations" first, go to the "Federal - Charitable donations" section and to the "Select how to distribute your family's charitable donations", and from the drop-down menu located at your right, choose the option "Do not claim the donations?".

4. For Quebec residents, go to the "Québec - Charitable donations and other gifts" section and to the line "Select how to distribute your family's charitable donations - Quebec" and in the drop-down menu on the right, choose the option "Do not claim the donations".

5. However, if you wish to carry forward donations from previous years, go to the "Donations or gifts carried forward" group and choose the option that suits you best.

The program will generate a "Schedule of Charitable Donations" for both the federal government and Quebec residents.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

To claim it

1 - On the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Interview setup".

2- On the screen on your right, go to the "Common tax deductions" group, check the box for "Donations and political contributions" and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", select "Donations/political contributions" and in the screen on your right, click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the appropriate option. In general, the most common option would be "Canadian charitable donations (other than per T4 slips and other slips)".

4- On the page that appears, enter the relevant information about your donations. It should be noted that 2017 is the last year for the "FDSC" for the first charitable donations, at the federal level.

5- If you wish to share the donations between spouses, return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and click again on "Donations/political contributions". In the screen that appears, scroll down to the group "Sharing and optimization" and click on the plus "+" icon to the right of the line "Sharing donations between spouses and optimization of donations". On the page generated, choose the appropriate option from the drop-down menu to the right of the line "Select how to distribute your family's charitable donations".

If you selected "Claim the specified amount", make sure to enter on the next line the donation amount you wish to claim. If applicable, follow the same procedure to complete the provincial section located under the federal one.

Follow the steps above but when drop down to say Claim  THE specified amount

then in the amount to claim is the total amount of the carry forward in$

hope this help. It works I tried it. 

Archived