No replies to this topic

#1 axeugene

axeugene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Hi All,

I hope this is the appropriate place to ask these questions. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

I started a Sole Proprietorship (professional musician) in October 2016 after my EI ran out, and I want to be sure I don't make any mistakes on the T2125 portion of my return that would skew my numbers inappropriately or trigger an audit, so I've a couple questions:

1. My fiscal year started in October, and I've read that I should end the fiscal year Dec 31. Is a 3 month (or anything less than a full year) first fiscal year normal?

I am deducting some gas/parking/insurance for my passenger vehicle as I use it to get to performances/ rehearsals/meetings.

2a. Under the "vehicle expenses", it asks for the specifics of the car used. I've had the car since around 2008, but don't know the exact date of purchase. Truth be told, I don't think I know how to calculate the "opening balance of the undepreciated capital cost" because I'm not sure what that means. Are those details necessary if I'm only claiming fuel, a portion of insurance, and any parking? 

2b. Am I required to claim mileage in order to deduct fuel and parking which are tied to specific events and I have receipts for?

2c. I don't have any added commercial insurance for the business use of my vehicle. Does that disqualify me from claiming any portion of the regular insurance?

And finally (which perhaps negates the previous questions)

3. Seeing as I only made a little over 2k in those three months, I don't think it makes a difference to my end result if I forgo all deductions and simply claim the small gross amount earned - showing that I've begun self employment.

Would it be valid to simply fill the one line of "Gross sales, commissions, or fees" and leave the rest blank, or would that just bring about unanswered questions?

In the end, my aim is to show that I began self employment in the latter part of the year. This year is simple: I played a handful shows and got paid for them. Next year will be far more in depth.

Thank you for your help, internet people of the UFile forums. I'm nervous about doing this correctly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sole Proprietorship, t2125, expenses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2013 UFile.ca, Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy