Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


clw last won the day on April 7 2017

clw had the most liked content!

About clw

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

753 profile views
  1. Yes. Also you can select any 12 month period, as long as it ends in the taxation year. It does not apply to your case as you arrived in 2019, but you could have claimed expenses from say Feb 2018 to Jan 2019, March 2018 to Feb 2019, April 2018 to March 2019 and so forth.
  2. Declerq, The disposition or sale of some stocks within the ETF resulted in Capital Gains which triggered the T5008 form. Not sure how ETF’s are managed, but with hindsight, it made sense to ‘cash in some profits’ in December 2019, since the markets plummeted in early 2020.
  3. Yes, you include it in your medical expenses.
  4. clw

    Residency status

    Rakko, did you ever resolve this? I was curious, since my experience has always been the reverse; young Canadians working abroad on those Travel/work visas. Thanks!
  5. You control this in the Interview through form T1032, selectable from the Pension Income section. By default ‘Ufile decides’; just select ‘No’ to prevent pension splitting.
  6. clw

    Residency status

    Hi Rakko, the concepts of immigration and emigration imply that individuals intend on settling in permanently or leaving if already permanently settled. I don’t see how this can apply to individuals on 1 or 2 year Travel/work visas, who never intend on becoming permanent residents. I don’t see them completing Schedule A either, as the tax treaty implies that the income is reported separately, depending on its origin. To clear this up, I would contact the CRA (International taxation) mention the type of Visa, the country treaty, and how the Interview section of Ufile should be completed. From my experience, they are friendly, helpful and do not request any personal information.
  7. clw

    Residency status

    Hello Rakko, you would need additional information on the employer-completed TD1 form. Page 2 : if in 2019, 90% of his world income is from Canada, then you can apply the tax credits, if not then there are zero tax credits, which would seem unfair to me...! You can also call the CRA’s international taxation number; there may be a simpler way. If you find one, please let us know! The only situation that applies to your client’s situation in your screen shot above is the last one : ‘information about your residency status’
  8. clw

    Residency status

    Here is a good summary for travel work visas Canadian Working Holiday Visas So your client needs to file an income tax return as a non-resident.
  9. clw

    Residency status

    According to Article 14 of the Canada/Japan bilateral tax treaty Canada-Japan Tax Treaty , your client is taxed only in the country where the income was generated. So income earned in Canada is only taxed in Canada, and not reported in a Japanese Income Tax return. If your client has a T4, or otherwise paid tax, CPP and EI, then he is considered a taxpayer from September 10 2019, and should file a tax return for 2019. Similarly for 2020 tax year, he will be a taxpayer until June 10th, date at which he will leave the country. For ‘travel work Visas’ if there is no refund or outstanding tax owed, the CRA will often waive the need to file a return, so you need to establish if there is a benefit to filing.
  10. clw

    Residency status

    The CRA’s definition of a Canadian non-resident for tax purposes is quite rigid. Generally, it involves a Canadian citizen, who works full time in a foreign country for most of the year, pays taxes, social security and retirement plans in that country, AND does not have any ‘significant ties’ with Canada (no spouse living in Canada, no real estate, nor home, nor motorized vehicle, no bank accounts). The CRA has excellent documentation describing the differences between non-residence and deemed not resident, as well as, emigrants and immigrants. There are bilateral agreements between Canada and most other countries which outline where revenue is taxed. If there are no ties with Canada, and no revenue generated within Canada, a Canadian non-resident for tax purposes is usually exempt from filing a Canadian income tax return.
  11. Kaicall, Gaetan’s approach still applies to Ufile 2019.
  12. clw


    If this is the deceased final return, you must send a printed version accompanied by a copy of the last Will, and the death certificate to the CRA. They will then send the refund to a legal heir payable to the ‘succession of ....,’ and mailed to a legal heir found in the Will. If you are an Executor and heir, I think you can put your own address when you complete the income tax return, explain the change in a cover letter, and confirm the address you wish the refund to go to. If you are in Québec, the Will you send to the CRA, should be Notarized. In Ontario, the Will may have to be Probated, but I am not certain. Finally, executors should ask for a ‘Clearance Certificate’, as this will trigger an in depth analysis of the deceased tax history, allowing final distribution of the estate.
  13. In the Interview, you can select the T5008 forms under ‘Capital Gains’, and complete them.They will then correctly populate the Capital Gains (formerly Schedule 3, but now part of the main return), calculating the gain or loss. The amounts in boxes 20 and 21 multiplied by the number of units yields the gain or loss, and Ufile automatically calculates this.
  14. There is no automatic transfer between the CRA and any private income tax software company due to privacy laws. Until you Netflle the 2019 return, the CRA cannot know what you will be reporting. Follow 2) and you should be ok. Since you have already requested an adjustment, and know the correct values for 2018, you can change these, so that the 2018 return is accurate, but do not Netfile or refile the 2018 Return, as the CRA already has your T1ADJ request.
  15. Did your email from CRA tell you to check for new mail in your online CRA account? CRA will never send specifics over email. Was the amount declared using the correct line number? Finally, the taxpayer is always ultimately responsible for accuracy in tax forms, not the software company.
© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...