Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has experience filing taxes as a non-resident.
Here is our situation:
- I am a Canadian citizen
- My husband is a permanent resident of Canada / US citizen
- We moved from Alberta to the US in August 2018
- My husband earned income from his US employer from August to December 2018
Here are my questions:
- How do I properly report information from the W-2 in Ufile? When I tried entering my husband's W-2, it greatly reduced our refund even though he paid a significant amount of US taxes.
- Can we receive credit for provincial carryforward tuition amounts? We still have $19000 in provincial carryforward, but when I entered this amount, our refund was unchanged. I'm guessing because we are considered non-residents but I was told that we should still be able to use this amount for 2018 since we were residents for 8 months of the year.
- Should we file our US taxes or Canadian taxes first? Does one affect the other?