Français
Redwood_Player

Manitoba Tuition Tax Credit Advance

If you are already claiming a tuition tax credit rebate from the MB government, but have gone to a new program for additional studies, it does not appear you are able to claim the MB tuition tax credit advance with the ufile program, even though you should be able to. Am I filling out these forms wrong?

Form T1005 (Manitoba tuition fee income tax rebate) will be generated by the program when required.

You can claim this rebate if you meet all of the following conditions:

• you were a resident of Manitoba at the end of the year; and
  • you completed a program of studies from an eligible post-secondary institution and met the requirements to receive a diploma after December 31, 2006.

To claim this rebate, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" on the left, select "Manitoba tax and credit".

2- On the right-side page, choose "MB428 line 6086 - Manitoba tuition fee income tax rebate - initial claim (T1005)" and enter the information that is relevant to your situation.

The program will enter on line 66 of Form MB428 the amount of the tax refund calculated on line 14 of the T1005.

Click the "Tax return" tab and in the "Select a page" section, select the line "MB428 - Manitoba" and the line "T1005 - MB tuition fee rebate" to view the details of the refund.

For more information about the tax rebatefor tuition fees in Manitoba, please consult the following link:

http://www.manitoba.ca/tuitionrebate/index.html

Hi Gabriel,

I am not talking about Form T1005. I am talking about the Manitoba 5% tax credit advance (see excerpt from MB website).

******************** NEW. Start saving while you're still in school!

If you live in Manitoba and attend a post-secondary institution, you are now eligible to receive a 5% tax credit advance on your tuition fees while you're still going to school. There is an annual credit cap of $250 in 2010, a cap of $500 in subsequent years, and a lifetime cap of $5,000 under the advance. Amounts claimed as an advance will reduce the Manitoba Tuition Fee Income Tax Rebate earned following graduation. The tax credit is claimable by a student even if the federal and provincial tuition and education amounts are transferred to a parent or spouse.

I am stating that the Ufile form does not differentiate between the advance and the rebate. I have claimed rebates for an earlier degree, now I am on to a new degree and want to apply for the advance. The first rebate I claimed is independent of this new advance, but Ufile sees this as an error (as in a you cannot claim both an advance and claim ongoing rebate) in my view incorrectly. I am wondering if there is a fix for this as I do not want to have to intiate a tax amendment when the software I am paying for should be able to do this job for me (right the first time).

The rebate advance is claimed on the form MB479 - Manitoba Credits.

If you live in Manitoba and attend a post-secondary institution, you are eligible to receive a 5 % tax credit advance on your tuition fees while you are still going to school.

There is an annual credit cap of $500, and a lifetime cap of $5,000 under the advance. Amounts claimed as an advance will reduce the Manitoba tuition fee income tax rebate earned following graduation.

To claim this advance, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Manitoba tax and credits".

2- On the right-hand side, choose "MB479 line 6145 - Manitoba advance tuition fee income tax rebate" and enter the information relevant to your situation.

The program will carry over the tax refund amount on line 49 of Form MB479 as well as on line 482 of the federal return.

For more information about the advance for tuition fees in Manitoba, please visit the following link:

http://www.manitoba.ca/tuitionrebate/index.html

From http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/5007-pc/5007-pc-12e.html#line_48

You cannot claim the advance tuition fee income tax rebate in 2012 if you claimed the tuition fee income tax rebate on line 66 of Form MB428.

So you cannot claim both at the same time, even if from two different degrees. Just one or the other. Might want to call the Manitoba Tax Assistance Office (1-800-782-0771) to confirm, however.

I will just be requesting an amendment after the fact and find out directly from the tax office. Ufile cannot handle it. I find it highly unlikely you cannot claim an advance on new schooling. The rule that states you cannot claim the tuition fee income tax advance if you already claimed the rebate must apply to same schooling / same year, to prevent accelerated claims. Do not see them relating to one another.