Français
DavPol

Disability Tax Credit

I wish to transfer Disabilty Tax Credit from a relative who does not live with me.  After adding the relative as a "Dependant" in Ufile, it assumes that the dependant lives with me.  How can I indicate that the relative has a seperate dwelling and prepares a seperate Tax Return.  The transfer is possible as CRA have just finished a reassesment and given me credit retroactively for the last 5 years.  TurboTax handles this OK, but this is the first time I tried Ufile, and so far it looks much easier to use, apart from this little difficulty

In order to claim the disability transfer from a dependant (line 318 of Schedule 1), please follow these steps:

1- You must create a file for your dependant, and link it to your file. To create the dependant, click on the option "Add family member" above your name in the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen.

2- On the page that will appear to your right, click on "Add a dependant".

3- In the dependant's "Interview", you will see a section called "Medical and Infirmity" in the "QuikClik Navigator". Click on it, and select "Infirmity and disability amounts for a dependant" in the right-hand screen.

4- Complete the page accordingly.

Thanks for your help - most appreciated.  I did as you suggest. The program gives an errror that I need to fill in shedule H "Dweling information for tax credit for caregiver".  This asks who owns the dwelling - which dwelling, mine or that of my relative?

Also the program transfers DTC, but also allows me a Caregiver amount on line315.  I am not sure if I can claim this, as the dependant does not live with me?  Shedule H clearly states that the dependant cohabits with me

In order to claim the caregiver amount, you must first enter the person in your file as a dependant, even if he or she is not (a dependant). Note that you can add more than one person if you were the caregiver for these persons.

Once you have created the dependant's file, please follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" section of the dependant's file, select "Medical, disability, caregiver".

2- On the screen located to your right, select the sixth line, "Caregiver amount to claim for this dependant".

3- A new page entitled "Caregiver amount" will open, and in the drop-down menu on the right-hand side of the page you will have to select the person who is claiming the caregiver amount.

Note: for Quebec residents, an explanatory document is available.

Seems all fixed now - even got rid of the Shedule H bit.

To summarise, I need to prepare a seperate tax return for the dependant, complete "Infirmity & Disability Amounts", and set to not claim in the "Caregiver Page.  Magic!!!

To save some time, after completing the Dependant's tax return, can this information be imported into our returns??

you dont need to enter your relative as your own dependent. you need to create separate file for your relative and yours.

What do I do if the relative already had an independent UFile.ca account before moving in with us?

Thank you.

If you want to add this relative as a dependant, you need to enter the information manually for the first year.

I am trying to add a dependent but "father in law" is not one of the available options in the .

Please help.

Also, he already has a separate account in Ufile.ca for previous years.

How do I import his history into the newly created one?

Thank you.

1. You can put father (since he is your spouse's father or your mother's new husband). 

OK.  Just wanted to make sure that CRA will not get a fit when I electronically file.

2. If you want to add this relative as a dependant, you need to enter the information manually for the first year.

Can I continue using his original account for e-filing his taxes and only use the "dependent" sub-account for the purposes of line 315? In that case, what information exactly should I enter in the "dependent" sub-account?