Français
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kirkmegna

Possible Rounding Error?

Guest kirkmegna

Hello,

I've filled in all the details for my T2125 and for some reason UFile Online is coming up with a different amount for line 135: Business Income (Net) than I get through excel. I've traced this down to a calculation under Motor Vehicle Expenses for Self Employment Income. The difference is small (~$10) but enough to have me concerned. I believe it has to do with the calculation of business % usage taken from the business km and total km driven, although I could be mistaken. 

After spending countless hours trying to track down the issue I'm almost ready to stop using Ufile altogether, and I've been using it since 2008...

Regards

Kirk

It will be very hard for anybody to help without looking at your home calculations and the file itself...

Please send your request to support@ufile.ca and attach a copy of your file.

Depending on the version you are using (Windows or ONLINE), the process for including your file differs, let me know which it is and I will post the appropriate instructions.

1. Login to UFile ONLINE
2. Select "Help".
3. Choose "Support request form".
4. Answer the questions.
5. Be sure to check the box "Check to authorize UFile to VIEW your tax file." *

* Our support staff is likely to find solutions to a problem faster if they can review the tax information you have entered in your file.

If this box is checked when you submit your support request to UFile ONLINE, a copy of your tax information will be generated and stored in a secure area where access is restricted to our authorized support staff. This process takes place behind our firewalls and your data is not exposed to the insecure Internet at any time. Your tax information is not sent to our staff as an email attachment.

Your information will only be used to help our support staff resolve the problems you have reported, and will be automatically destroyed after 72 hours.

Guest kirkmegna

Thanks.

Is there some way to upload screen shots to this forum without having to use a URL?

Guest kirkmegna

Sorry Gabriel, but I'm not seeing any option to browse files on my computer. There's a "My Media" icon which has nothing listed under it, and an "image" icon that asks for a URL.

Solution:

According to the T4002 guide, business parking fees are claimed at full cost, as opposed to prorated by your business km like gas purchases. 

"Business use of a motor vehicle

If you use a motor vehicle for business and personal use, you can deduct only the part of the expenses that you paid to earn income. However, you can deduct the full amount of parking fees related to your business activities and supplementary business insurance for your motor vehicle."

Unfortunately on UFile ONLINE, out of Supplementary Business Insurance, Short Term Car Rental Fees (100%), and Parking Fees, only Short Term Car Rental Fees are indicated as being 100%. It has been suggested that information be added to the help icons for those items, and "(100%)" be added to the end of the other two field descriptions.