Français
Sign in to follow this  
Stephan

T4 Box 81

Whats the treatment for Box 81? On my T4 there's nothing for Box 14 but something for Box 81 in other information section, so I placed it in the footnote and now it won't let me Netfile my tax return.

usually in order to have a Box 81 (Placement or employment agency workers) from your T4, you should have an income from box 14.

Do you, if not, try entering zero from box 14 as your employment income

This is a very irritating box. In CVITP training there is no mention of contract wokers income in box 81.

Most folk we see have received income through occasional employment by a contracting agency.

Example a house cleaner could be paid in this way. A casual warehouse worker, factory worker.

So we decided to simply show this type of income as box 14. It is taxed the same.

I would only advise this in the circumstance where a worker who worked as a contract placement worker, rather than

as an employee of the company, and has only this SE income.

usually in order to have a Box 81 (Placement or employment agency workers) from your T4, you should have an income from box 14.

Do you, if not, try entering zero from box 14 as your employment income

Not necessarily will you have a line 14. The issuer of these slips does not legally employ the contract worker, pays no EI, CPP.

I've decided in CVITP just to report these amounts in box 14 as employment income, which it is.

The other option is simply to report it as 'other income' not on a T4.

My agency employs me for months at a time and does deduct EI & CPP (which they enter in box 16 & 18) but is legally expected to enter box 81 in other information with the amount. Box 14 is left empty; however when I enter the information in Ufile in T4 footnotes and fill in boxes 16 , 18, 24 & 25 Ufile says it's an error since my income (Box 14) is less than my pensionable earnings. What do I do with that?

To enter the amount displayed in Box 81 of your T4 slip, you need to follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "T4 and employment income".

2- On the right-hand side of the screen, select among the first two options ("T4 and Rl-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec" or "T4 income earned outside Quebec") the one that applies to your situation. Enter the information shown on your T4 in the appropriate boxes.

3- Go to the bottom of the "T4 slip income" page, and in the last section "Other information", select "Memo Box 81/29=11 Placement or employment agency workers" from the drop-down menu and enter the amount in the field.

Once you have followed the steps above, you must also enter box 81 of the T4 as business income. In order to do so, please follow these steps:

1- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click on "Interview setup". On the right-hand side page, select "Self-employed business income" and click "Next" at the bottom of this page.

2- Click on the line "Self-employment income" that appears in the "QuikClik Navigator" and select one of the T2125 forms on the right side of the screen that best represents your business. As a rule, you should choose "T2125 - Business income".

3- On the "Business identification" page, enter your full name at the line "Business name" and enter the other mandatory information in the sections marked with a red asterisk.

4- For the line "6-digit code from the North American industry classification system", enter the code that best describes your industry. If you do not know the code, click on the help button (?) located on the right side of the box to access a list of the codes.

5- In "Income, expenses", enter $0 on the line "Gross sales, commissions or fees" and enter the amount in Box 81 on the line for "Income entered in a T4 page (one of Boxes 78, 81, 82 or 83)". If you have any expenses related to this income, fill out the boxes according to each description.

The program will generate federal form T2125 and, if applicable, Quebec Schedule M as well as form TP-80.