Français
barjebus

Rental Property - Tax Questions

I have a tricky question regarding tax reporting of rental properties. I'll lay out the situation and then post my questions.

Husband and wife live in Property #1. Property #1 has a basement suite that is rented our. Only the husband is on title.
In June 2012 we moved to a new house (Property #2) but kept Property #1 and began renting out the upstairs as well as the basement
In November of 2012, wife was put on title of Property #1 (still isn't on the title of Property #2).

My questions:

1.) How do I enter this into uFile? Do I create separate rental properties all with the same address, and designate the time period that it's effective for and change the data based on that? Or do I just use one and do the calculations myself (for half the year we claim %50 of mortgage insurance, utilities, etc., but for the other half of the year, it will be %100).
2.) How do I enter my income splitting with my wife into uFile? Do I create a rental property on her tax return, and set her ownership level to %50 and use the same data?
3.) When does her being on title make us eligible for income splitting? Is it only for November onward, and if so, how do I factor THAT into my uFile taxes??

I'm at a bit of a loss on how to mix all this up in uFile. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

If the rental property is owned by a partnership, one of the partners in the company could be
either your spouse or other people.

In order to report a rental income, first click on the following link:

http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/help-support/Ask_ufile.aspx

This link will lead you to the program's virtual agent. Please enter the subject of your research
in the "Ask your question" field, in this case "Rental income", click the magnifying glass
icon and you will have access to the necessary guidelines to help you file the return. Once
you've completed this process, follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", select the item "Rental income" and in the page on your
right, choose "T776 - Rental income property".

2- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and choose the item "Partners".

3- In the screen on your right, you have two (2) choices, "Spouse co-owner of this rental
property" or "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property".

4- If your spouse is co-owner, you have two choices in the drop-down menu, "Generate
rental income statement for spouse" or "Do not generate rental income statement for
spouse".

5- If you choose the first option, it is not necessary to enter information about the building in
your spouse's file. However, the program will generate the Statement of Real estate Rental,
both federal and Quebec for Quebec residents.

6- However, if you have different expenses, you should select the second option and the
program will not generate the statement of real estate rentals automatically, in which case you
must enter the complete information relating to the rental property in your spouse's file.

7- If none of the other partners is your spouse, you must choose "Other partner or co-owner
of this rental property" and enter the name address, SIN as well as the share of ownership.
The program will prorate the income and expenses. The partner must enter into his own file
all the information relating to the property.

8- Please note that in the page "T776 - Rental property identification", the percentage that
you must enter in the fields for "Percentage interest in the partnership" and "Your share
(%) of ownership if other than 100%" should be identical.

For more information regarding rental income, please visit the following CRA link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/126/menu-eng.html

If you need additional assistance, please contact us at help@ufile.ca for the online version or support@ufile.ca for the Windows version.

Just looking for a bit of clarification on this point so I can be certain before filing:

"Please note that in the page "T776 - Rental property identification", the percentage that

you must enter in the fields for "Percentage interest in the partnership" and "Your share
(%) of ownership if other than 100%" should be identical"

My spouse and I own and live together in a house that contains a basement rental unit.  I have the settings set to "Generate a Rental Income Statement for Spouse" under the "Ownership by Spouse" section and the percentage set to 50% ownership.  Should I be indicating 50% ownership as "Your % Share of ownership if other than 100%" on the T776 - Rental Property Identification page?  We are the sole owners of this property. I am using the Windows-based version of uFile.  Thanks.