Français
ktupil

Tax return generated for dependent child?

Hi all;

Anyone else get a tax return generated for their child? for some reason the Ufile online is generating a tax return for my 5 year old and the warning message says he can't netfile because his citizenship is not declared.  

Any idea why a return is being generated for a 5 yr old?

thanks,

Kedar

Under "Family Members" select the child's name then just below in "QuikClik Navigator" select "Dependant ID".

In the right pane the last 2 questions will determine if a return is required. Click on the help (small blue question mark) for these selections for more info.

Thetut1

i followed you instructions and answered both last questions as no, since my daugther is only 6. however, similar to ktupil still get an error that she can't file because citizenship is missing. any ideas how to fix it.

for some reason my first child does not get this error.

If you have dependants who are young children and/or have no income to report, please open their tax returns and, under the "Interview" tab, click on "Controls" section from "QuikClik Navigator".

To the question "Show the marginal tax rate calculation?", please answer "No" or choose "Select".

NOTE: If you answer "Yes", to calculate the marginal rate, the program will generate a tax return for the child. In this case, the child's SIN in the section "Identification" and the answer to the question "Are you a Canadian citizen? " in the section "CRA questions" are mandatory fields.

Hi,

Above info from Gabriel didn't help but we had the same problem with our young daughter, the "CRA Information" was just not there. My wife found the solution that worked for us. Change the DOB to someone over 18 years or so and presto the "CRA Information" section appeared. Enter the pertinent info (including the "Are you a Canadian Citizen" question). Click "Next" then change her DOB back to her/his correct age. Then the error will no longer appear.

Cheers,

Paul