Français
Mem

Applying for the 2013 Ont. energy and property tax credit (ON-BEN L.6118

HI,

I have been using ufile for many years and have always had success - unfortunately last year I missed the section to apply for the energy and property tax credit (ON-BEN L.6118). I am wondering if it would have changed any for my return - tax credit. Is it possible to retroactively change the selection?

Would it really matter - would there be a refund of some sort?

Thanks

Mem

I had a similar problem last year. The impact was I missed out on the rental credit which made a big difference in my credits owing to me. It took me a long while to find the source of the problem and I had to resubmit my income tax.  This year's software is doing exactly the same. I wonder how many people are missing out on this credit?  Even though the proper interview questions have been answered, the software must have a bug as it doesn't seem to carry the information over to the Ontario Trillium Calculation page 1 - property tax credit.

I have similar problem.When I apply for 2013 the Ontario Trillium Benefit, I can not find Part A-Amount paid for a principal residence for 2012. So I can not enter the total amount of home energy costs paid for my principal residence on a reserve in Ontario for 2012 ON-BEN 6121. Therefore the value in ON-BEN 6121 will be Zero. That means I will lose part of Ontario Trillium Benefit every month.
I also check UFill 2011, I can enter that amout from the page "Residence Credit". I don't know why I can't enter that amount from the same page in UFill 2012?

Is there anybody know how to fix it? Thanks a lot!

As of July 2012, the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) will include payments from the Ontario sales tax credit, the Ontario energy and property tax credit, and the Northern Ontario energy credit. The payments of these three credits will be combined and delivered on a monthly basis to better match the timing of the assistance with the expenses incurred by the taxpayers. You must apply and be eligible for at least one of these credits to receive the OTB.

The component of the sales tax is linked with the claiming of the GST, whereas components of the tax credit for energy costs and property taxes are linked with the claiming of ON-BEN.

To claim the OTB using the program, please follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" section of your tax file, select "CRA questions" and apply for the GST/HST tax credit. Choose "Yes" from the drop-down menu and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

2- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and select "Ontario tax and credits".

3- On the screen to your right, select "ON-BEN - Application for 2012 Ontario Trillium Benefit (Ontario sales tax credit, Ontario energy and property tax credit, Northern Ontario energy credit) and the Ontario Senior Homeowners' Property Tax Grant".

4- Claim your credits, then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

5- Return to the "Ontario tax and credits" section and, on the page to your right, select the line that corresponds to your situation ("ON-BEN - Declaration for home owners, tenants or college residence"). Enter your information.

6- Click the "Results" tab. A warning message might appear, indicating that your income is too high to claim the GST credit. Ignore this warning if you wish to receive the Ontario sales tax component.

The program produces an estimate of the Trillium benefit for July 2012 to June 2013.

the instruction still doesn't work for me; rent amount doesnt appear on the "results page";

I have HST/GST checked on the CRA interview page and said"yes" on ON-BEN page, entered the amount of rent for tenants option, clicked "next" every time to save the entries; still I don't see the amount of rent I claim on the results page.

besides I looked back in the previous years and it's not there also; now I have to send T1 adj.

so frustrated with UFile!

does it really have to be that difficult?! why it doesn't work after I enterd all that is required?

If I understand the initial question correctly it is, if someone misses a tax credit for last year's return can you retro-actively apply for it? And the answer is Yes! You can use either Form T1-ADJ that is included with Ufile, or alternatively a short letter written to the CRA with the relevant forms attached should be sufficient to allow the CRA to assess in your favour.

I second Lely above. 

If you answer the question:

"Applying for the 2013 Ont. energy and property tax credit?" with YES=> it does not include ON-BEN! and your rent does not show.

If you answer NO=> it does include it!