Jump to content

US Social Security Benefit

Recommended Posts

To register the amount of your U.S. pension income, please follow the steps below:


1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Interview setup".

2- In the page that appears on the right, select the "Foreign income or foreign property" and click on "Next".

3- In the "QuikClik Navigator", please click on "Foreign income & property".

4- On the right-hand side of the screen, click on "Foreign pension income (includes U.S. social benefits)".

5- You must specify "United States" as the country of origin of the income, a brief "Description of the source of income" as well as the "Exchange rate to apply".

6- Then, in the drop-down menu to the right of "Type of foreign pension income", select the type of income that will apply to you and enter the amount in the field for "Amount of foreign income received":


- According to the tax treaty between Canada and the United States, you can claim a deduction of 15 % of social security benefits the United States, including bonuses paid to US Medicare. In this case, choose "United States social security benefits (15 %)".


- If you were a resident of Canada and have received benefits from the U.S. Social Security throughout the period that began before January 1rst, 1996, from the drop-down menu, choose "United States social security benefits (50 %)".


The deductible amount will be reported by the program on line 256 of the federal return and on line 297 of the Quebec return, and the code 12 will be entered at Quebec line 296.


For more details, please refer to the CRA via the following link:


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...