Jump to content

Capital losses on Shares sold

Recommended Posts

If you have net capital gains for the current tax year and would like to utilize net capital losses of prior years to offset the net capital gains, please follow the steps below:


(Available capital losses are shown on the CRA's Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment for the previous taxation year.)


1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Interview setup". Check the box for "Losses of prior years, carrybacks" and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.


2- In the "QuickClik Navigator", click on "Losses and carrybacks".

3- On the new page, select the fifth option "Net capital losses of other years".


4- Enter your net capital losses of prior years.


5- If you wish to limit the amount of capital losses applied to the current year, enter the amount on the last line at the bottom of the page.


The program will report the net capital loss on line 253 of your federal return and on line 290 of the Quebec return. To see the details of the application of net capital losses, click on the "Tax return" tab and select federal form "Applying Net Capital Losses of Other Years" and, if applicable, Quebec form TP-729 "Carry-Forward of Net capital Losses".

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...