Français
Sign in to follow this  
tlouie1

Carryforward and import a separate ufile return for spouse

For the  2011 tax year, My husband and I each completed a completely separate ufile return.  This screwed up our deductions as ufile claimed deductions for both of us that we were not otherwise eligible for.

For 2012, we have each finished a separate 2012 tax return on ufile.  How do we combine our separate files so that all the information is in one consolidated ufile and it calculates all the deductions properly?

You need to enter the information for both spouses in the same file. Unfortunately, it needs to be done manually.

What about the previous year's file?  You mean, I have to select either his or my file and then manually type in all the previous year's info as well as the other spouse's info?  

If so, how do I do this?  And by that, I mean, what are the step-by-step instructions?

You can carry forward the data of the previous year for one of the spouse but the other one needs to be entered manually.

In order to carry forward your 2011 tax return prepared with UFile for Windows 2011 to UFile for Windows 2012, please follow these steps:

1. Run UFile and click on "Carry forward a 2011 tax file".
2. Under "Select the type of file to import", check "2011 UFile or ImpôtExpert tax file (.U11)".
3. Click the yellow folder and browse to your *.u11 file.
4. Click "Open" after you locate the file.
5. Click "Continue".
6. Click "Continue" again.
7. Click "OK".

NOTE: It is very important that you browse to find your file. This will ensure that both the name and location of the file are correct. You cannot just enter the name of the file. UFile also needs to know where on your computer the file is located. By browsing, you will ensure that this information is correct.

UFile will open and your tax information will be carried forward into the 2012 tax year.

Is there any chance you can tell us how to enter this information manually, like we need to do? I've checked all over in the forum, and this information is never provided.

We're told how to automatically import the info, but we're all trying to join multiple individual files. The missing step is how to enter this information manually.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, UFile cannot extract nor merge a family member's file. If you completed the family member's return in a separate file and wish to merge this file with yours, you must re-enter this member's tax information manually. To do so, please follow these steps:

1- Under the "Interview" tab, in the "Family members" section above the "QuikClik Navigator", select "Add a member".

2- Enter the identification information.

3- In the "QuikClik Navigator" located on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Refund or balance owing".

4- On the screen that appears, select "Prior year comparative information (comparative)".

5- Enter the amounts in the corresponding fields.

Conversely, if you have completed the dependant's tax return in your file last year and wish to extract this file to complete their tax return in the current year, you would have to create a separate file or open a new account for them and manually re-enter their tax information.