Jump to content

Daughter's College Tuition?

Recommended Posts

Morning To Everyone


I have been using "U-file", for many years now and I really have had No Issues

that I was aware of until now.

My 22 year old Daughter lives at home - works 2 part-time jobs to pay her way

through College and spending money...which I always thought was the right thing to do.

She has Graduated in 2012 and was given Form T2202A from the institution which took me

several days of on-line research trying to figure out how to "Utilize" this in a desparate attempt to "Find Schedule MB-s11"....in U-file.

She did not make enough to surpass the "Personal Exemptions" so when researching this I learned of

"Transfering the "Tuition fee's " or portion there-of to me............since I have "Paid for much of it".


The trouble lies in the fact that when I did her Taxes first without the "Tuition" pages....using only her

"T-4's"..........she was to get a "Refund" of over a $1500.00  than with the "Tuition Rebate Form".


In other words ...her Tax Refund is less by 60% using the "Tuition Rebate Form" and I must admit that

I am having trouble figuring out the sense of this one.


Any ideas what I may have done wrong would be appreciated as I am running out of Online pages to read.


I did choose "Transfer Unused Tuition to Parent Unprocessd Amount" even though I am not sure

if "Any Amount Is Being Used" in her Tax as it looks like the Full $5000.00 is Transfered to mine.


Thanks for any insight.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is hard for me to answer this question without seeing the actual tax return.

I can tell you that the fact that you are receiving the full transfer amount doe not prove anything. Her benefit is much more than that.

Look at her Schedule 11 which will tell you if she is using any of it.

Dovid Z Lando

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Afternoon To All


I am still at it but I believe I may have found the answer.


After printing out the two different tax forms and comparing them,

I noticed that the Form Schedule 6 - Working Income Tax Benefit...was not included

when I tried to claim her Tuition Schedule.


After carefully reading it ...it says .......


"You cannot claim the WITB if in 2012:
you were enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for more than 13 weeks in the year, unless you had an

eligible dependant at the end of the year;"


Interestingly...the amount of Refund missing is the same amount as if she would claim the "WITB" ....

with the Tuition Schedule.


So now I know the "Why of it" ...just not sure if I understand the "Sense of it".


Just figured I would post what I found in case some one else out there might run into

the same situation.





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...