Français
Sign in to follow this  
rli1971

GST credit for parents over 65 when claim them as dependants

Hello.

My parents are over 65 and living with us, and we claim them as dependants in our family tax return. In the interview, we put their information as a couple and input the income of spouse for both of them in "information of dependant's spouse" page and put the net income there.

However, in the GST credit calculation for the next year,  the UFile didn't take the spouse's income in "column 2", and the calculation is based on individual other than a couple or a family, which is less than normal,

is this correct? how can I fix this?

Thanks

You can't have a married couple as dependants do to a limitation of the software.

You should create a separate file for your parents that you will use to actually file their returns and create "dummy files" in your own return to claim the caregiver amount.

when you say dummy files, meaning only input their basic interviews and net income etc, but not input other details, is this correct? is that going to have conflict if I file my parents return separately?