Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ellen

charitable donations

I entered my charitable donations & when I printed out my tax return the amount for charitable donations

was doubled.  I didn't enter the donations 2x.  How can I fix this.

To claim charitable donations, please follow this procedure:

1 - In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Interview setup".

2- In the screen on your right-hand side, under the section "Deductions and credits", check the box for "Donations, political contributions" and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and select "Donations/political contributions" and in the screen on your right-hand side, choose the line "Canadian charitable donations (other than per T4 slips and other slips)".

4- In the page that appears, enter the appropriate information regarding your donations.

5- If you wish to share the donations between spouses, return to the section "Donations/political contributions" and, in the screen on your right, select "Sharing donations between spouses and optimization of donations". In this page, choose the appropriate option for your situation from the drop-down menu on your right.

Under the "Tax return" tab, you can consult the form "Charitable donations (Federal)". This in-house form provides you with details pertaining to your donations, such as donations that are carried forward from previous years, the total amounts of Canadian and American donations that are eligible for the tax credit for you and your spouse and, if applicable, the eligible donations for the Quebec tax credit.

Federal Schedule 9, "Donations and gifts", is also generated by the program. This schedule will indicate the credit amount granted on line 349 of federal Schedule 1.