Français
mlevin

SOLVED: invalid NAICS

This is the pure overlook by the UFile programmers...

I admire their ability to make the software so sly and beneficial to us when it comes to calculating the best tax return, but the UI of the Windows app is a disaster.

Anyways.

The problem with the NETFILE: invalid NAICS is two-sided:

1. One of your businesses had the NAICS code in 2011, which got replaced in 2012

Mine old one was 541510. Government changed it for 2012 to 541514.

Who knew?

UFile does not help when filling in this field, it does not have the validation, nor warning (for the code that is not valid *anymore*), even though the fill list is openly available

REF: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-sujets/standard-norme/naics-scian/2012/index-indexe-eng.htm -- download the PDF from there.

2. When UFile *correctly* identifies the problem with the NETFILE's NAICS code

(hold a second, how exactly it does know it's not valid? So it *does* have the validation of the code, just does not have a liberty to offer it at the Interview stage! Sigh...)

, it avoids telling you, which exact business of you (if you entered several ones; I did), or which exact code got itself marked as invalid (really too hard to say "your code NNNNNN is invalid" ?). Also it tries to be helpful and shows the hyper-link to bring you back to the Interview, to the form where you could correct the code.

The only problem is, it brings you to the 1st business in your Interview, but not the one, which's got the incorrect code.

What a shame. So much time lost chasing the root case of this error... :(

Anyway, if you got that error -- go and check NAICS codes for *all* your businesses, use that PDF file from the government site, and do CTRL-F and search for the code, you think it right, and make sure you find it there. If it's not there, search for 5-digit version of it, and look at new 6-digits under it.

Good luck!

Just created this account to say a quick thank you for posting this.  I had the exact same problem - same exact code.  I found this by using Google to search, "invalid NAICS" and it was the first hit.  

Saved me some time.  Cheers!

Ha!  Thanks for the info mlevin. Those tricky folks at the CRA, changing the codes. Odd that uFile seemed to have the wrong/old codes in its linked window of NAICS codes, but it still knew my code was wrong.

Happy Taxtime.