Français
busbutt

Foreign rental income reported twice by UFile?

I have used UFile for a few years, and I don't think I've changed how I am entering my info.

I have foreign rental income. In the past I have reported this as regular rental income under a "Rental income" section with income, expenses etc. broken down and reported in C$, and also as foreign rental income under "Foreign income & property" where I report the gross and net also in C$. I checked my 2011 return and that all seems good - if the income was say $10000, this is what is reported under rental income in the result summary. This year when I enter the same info it seems to be counting the income twice, once from the report under rental income, and once for foreign rental income, so under the result summary I see $20000 as rental income instead of $10000. Further investigation seems to indicate the problem is with the "Foreign business income entered as business income" line when I declare the foreign rental income. I had left this blank, which seems to then double the reported rental income. If I enter zero in this line or $10000, the rental income is only reported once. Am I doing this right? What should I be entering in this field?

Thanks!

Ufile is doing what you tell it to do! You are reporting the income twice and it naturally adds it up. You should just report it in the Foreign income - Rental form ensuring that you report it in the foreign currency and filling in the appropriate exchange rate.

The thing is, I have done it this way for the past couple of years and UFile did not double-report the income before. Also, a few years ago when I had an accountant do my return, they reported the income as regular rental income for sure (using form T776 I think). So I am pretty sure I can't ignore the regular rental income section and only report the income under the foreign section in UFile, as that gives me no opportunity to list my expenses breakdown etc.

If you want to break down the expenses the T776 is fine, just do everything in Canadian funds.  You can indicate the location of the rental unit by filling in its address.  Do not duplicate the income in the Foreign income & property.