Français
Sign in to follow this  
rgesse

Capital Gain reserve from 2011

Hello,

I have a quick question...hopefully someone can clarify. ;-)

I had a large capital gain from 2011, but when the shares were sold, a portion was held in escrow until Dec. 2012. When filing my 2011 taxes I declared my capital gain minus the reserve (which incidentally as of the sale was $4,499.70).

Now on my 2012 tax return, UFILE has "automagically" entered the escrow (reserve) figure into the "Other property after 2007 - Opening balance for this year" box under the "Capital gains & ABIL -> Capital gain reserve" section. This makes sense to me (I think), but my question is the following:

The escrow amount actually ended up being approx. 90% of the initial amount ($3,907.68). Is it correct for me to assume that this figure should be entered in the next box entitled: "Other property after 2007 - Closing balance for this year"?

I'm just not entirely sure if that is the correct AND/OR only place to declare that I've received that amount as income for 2012.

Any help is much appreciated.

I received the entire escrowed balance in 2012 (December to be exact).

We were told that "...the withheld Escrow amount was reduced by ~9% due to a post-closing working capital adjustment as a result of less Accounts Receivable outstanding at close than forecast.  So expect to receive ~91% of the Escrow amount you were provided at closing".

So in 2011 my escrowed amount was stated to be $4,499.70, and the amount that I received in full in Dec. 2012 was $3,907.68.

As I explained above, I'm just trying to ensure that I've entered the amount in the correct location in the software.

Thank you for the response.

As you received the whole amount in 2012, the whole reserve must be used up in 2012.

Enter 0.00 (zero) as the "closing balance for this year".

However you incurred a loss of $592.02 on the amount you were expecting to receive ($4,499.70 less $3,907.68).

Account for it by entered a Stock disposition:

- date of disposition (date you received the actual escrowed amount)

- total proceeds - 0.00 (zero)

- adjusted cost base - 592.02

Verify the results in Form T2017 (Summary of reserves) and in Schedule 3.

OK...thank you. I've done the above and everythings appears to be kosher. I'm just not sure about this statement:

"...Verify the results in Form T2017 (Summary of reserves) and in Schedule 3..."

Where exactly do I go for this?