Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rmayor

Why don't I see my 2012 information when starting my 2013 return

I logged in to UFile Online to start working on my 2013 return and there's no information in there at all.  I've been using UFile Online for a few years so I expected all my data to appear. The Import section under Account only seems to have options to import from sources other than UFile Online. 

How do I get all my 2012 information to carry forward into 2013? 

My information has not been carried forward from one year to the next for the past three years, but I can probably guess why.

I delayed filing my 2012 return because I was switching from employment to self-employment and thus struggling to figure out how to calculate associated expenses, which of course had been irrelevant before self-employment began. Thus, I was no longer eligible for Netfile when I finally did get it done last year. As far as I can tell from reading another entry on the forum, user information will only be transferred to the next year after Netfile is used, or it may not be carried forward to the next year after a certain number of months have passed since the previous completed UFile return.

Therefore, without using Netfile (because of ineligibility due to the delayed filing date), I had to re-enter the user information and all family members for 2012 and 2013. Furthermore, I still haven’t quite finished my 2013 return, so now that I’m working on 2014 at the same time as 2013, I’ve naturally had to re-enter all the user information and add family members for 2014 as well, for the third consecutive year. Naturally, no amounts are getting carried over from one year to the next when I have to start from scratch each year, lately.

Carry forward did work for me automatically from 2005 to 2011, though, when I didn’t have an option to enter any kind of expenses because I was employed during those years and I had been delaying filing of my returns only into the summer or autumn months instead of a full year or two during that period.

Maybe one of these three possibilities applies to you, RMayor—lack of using Netfile (filing your UFile-created return electronically) for the previous year, a long passage of time since your previous return, or simultaneous working on two years online.

BTW, my father was an income tax accountant by profession and was always four years behind in filing his own returns, so I seem to be carrying on the family tradition by being one or two years behind as well, now that I’m entering my 50s.

Accounts are not linked from year to year. For example, if you just recently purchased and filed a previous year's return, you will need to login as a new user and create a new account for the current year. You will be able to use the same user ID and password, however in this case the data will not be carried forward.

If you completed a tax return from the current year, the data from this account will be carried forward next year. We carry forward accounts in batch once a year in early January.