Français
QuebecCanuck

Taxable benefit and Canada employment amount (line 363)

I'm retired in Quebec but have a taxable benefit from my employer to report. I was sent a T4 with the amount entered in Box 14 and Box 40, with Boxes 24 and 26 showing 0. I entered this information on the T4 page and also entered the amount in the "Other Information" box, chosing RL-1[211]-Benefit relating to previous employment.

So far, so good. But my calculated results show a tax credit for the same amount on line 363 ( "Canada Employment Amount").  This line is for employment-related expenses (have none, because I'm retired) so I don't think I deserve it. How do I get rid of it?

If you read the federal Guide with regard to line 363 you will see that there are no restrictions on the nature of the income you report on lines 101 and 104.

As you reported income on line 101, you are entitled to the Canada employment amount on line 367.