Français
Sign in to follow this  
JenniferZhu

Tax return for divorced wife and international student

How do I fill in for a divorced wife's ex-husband income if she doesn't know and doesn't communicate with her ex-husband anymore?

Also, for international students whose S.I.N start with '0', the system will not allow to submit their tax files by showing invalid S.I.N. However, the student was able to submit her tax return through other software in the past years with this same S.I.N.

Can someone please help with the 2 issues above?

Please remember that if you leave your ex-spouse's net income field blank, the program will automatically insert $0 as the net income.

If you are unable to obtain your ex-spouse's tax information, we suggest you put in a high amount (e.g. greater than the basic exemption, see guide to see what the current basic exemption is). This action will not generate an amount on line 303 of your tax return. In addition, the SIN box is a required field only for Quebec residents. It is not required for other provinces.

Please make sure that you are entering the correct number.

You can test the SIN on the following government website:

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/gepp-ppim/gepp-ppim-19-9-eng.html

Please remember that if you leave your ex-spouse's net income field blank, the program will automatically insert $0 as the net income.

If you are unable to obtain your ex-spouse's tax information, we suggest you put in a high amount (e.g. greater than the basic exemption, see guide to see what the current basic exemption is). This action will not generate an amount on line 303 of your tax return. In addition, the SIN box is a required field only for Quebec residents. It is not required for other provinces.

Please make sure that you are entering the correct number.

You can test the SIN on the following government website:

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/remuneration-compensation/gepp-ppim/gepp-ppim-19-9-eng.html

I couldn't find the current basic exemption. Do you happen to know what is the current basic exemption?