Français
Ulrich

How to declare gains/losses out of Forex currency trading

I'm not sure which situation it fits.....its similar to "Stocks..." but I have only the years Profits/Losses and interest payed/received as information to put.

If I chose "Stocks..."  and input the following

Date of acquisition: 01-01-2013

Date of disposition: 31-12-2013

Total proceeds from the sale of the shares or property: "Profits - Losses"

Expenses incurred in making the disposition: "payed interests - received interest"

Like that I get in the "Results": 

127 Taxable capital gains (schedule 3) : "exactly 50% of my total capital gain"

Does that makes sense?

Here is the link to the Capital Gains Guide: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4037/README.html

FOREX transactions must be reported in "Bonds, debentures, promissory notes, and other similar properties"

Foreign exchange gains and losses

Foreign exchange gains or losses from capital transactions in foreign currencies are considered to be capital gains or losses. However, you only have to report the amount of your net gain or loss for the year that is more than $200. If the net amount is $200 or less, there is no capital gain or loss and you do not have to report it on your income tax and benefit return.

Report your net gain or loss in Canadian dollars. Use the exchange rate that was in effect on the day of the transaction. If there were transactions at various times throughout the year, you can visit the Bank of Canada website, or go to What are the average exchange rates?

You will find the sections "Interest income not on information slips" and "Carrying charges or interest expenses (line 221)" in "Interest/investment income".