Français
manny11

T1A entry, does not show up in results

Is there something wrong with the online software...I enter values into the T1A form in the online interview but when I click results it does not show..it also does not show up in the pdf file. (Taking this years loss back to 2010)

After filling in the number in the interview it should appear on line 252...but it's blank.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong?

Thanks

If you have net capital gains for the current tax year and would like to utilize net capital losses of prior years to offset the net capital gains, please follow the steps below:

(Available capital losses are shown on the CRA's Notice of Assessment or Notice of Reassessment for the previous taxation year.)

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", located on the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Interview setup". Check the box for "Losses of prior years, carrybacks" and then click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

2- In the "QuickClik Navigator", click on "Losses and carrybacks".
 3- On the new page, select the fifth option "Net capital losses of other years".

4- Enter your net capital losses of prior years.

5- If you wish to limit the amount of capital losses applied to the current year, enter the amount on the last line at the bottom of the page.

The program will report the net capital loss on line 253 of your federal return and on line 290 of the Quebec return. To see the details of the application of net capital losses, click on the "Tax return" tab and select federal form "Applying Net Capital Losses of Other Years" and, if applicable, Quebec form TP-729 "Carry-Forward of Net capital Losses".

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have a loss this year (2013)..as a sole prop. I was negative before expenses. I want to carry back this loss and apply it to a positive year (2010). I contacted cra and they said I can carry this years loss back 3 years...but when I enter that loss in this years interview Amount of non capital losses to be applied and choose to 2010...nothing shows up on line 253 when I view the results.

Is line 253 just for showing the losses to be carried forward...if that's the case, am I able to file as is and assume the fine people at cra will see the T1A form and apply it to the 2010 filling? 

I apologize if I'm not asking the correct question etc.

To carry the loss that you incurred in 2013  up to 3 years back:

1. Go to Interview Setup in QuikClik Navigator

2. Tick the box for Losses of prior years, carrybacks

3. In the QuikClik Navigator find newly appeared section Losses and carrybacks, click on it. 

4. From the list on the screen choose T1A - Request for Loss Carryback (loss which occurred in 2013).

5. Fill up the form T1A - Request for Loss Carryback based on your situation. 

Hi Elvira,

Thanks for your response...I have done as you instructed. I guess I'm not supposed to see anything reflected on line 253 on this years return as the losses are being carried back to 2010...so that return will be amended and it will show up on the adjusted 2010 return?

I guess I don't understand how they are gonna see the carry back request...when I finished the interview and clicked result and looked at the return in pdf format there was nothing that stood out and screamed ..hey apply these losses to 2010.. :-)

I'm seeing this same problem, but not on the results page since I wouldn't expect to see it there but in the PDF for my complete tax return.

I have losses in 2014 that I want to carryback to 2013 as a net capital loss to be applied.  I've filled in the Loss carryback T1A form in the software but when I go to Tax Return and View complete tax return, the PDF only displays page 1 of 2 for the T1A. The information I need is on page 2.

I checked the CRA's form: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1a/t1a-14e.pdf

And indeed the second page of this form is not showing in the PDF that ufile generates.  Is this a bug?  Is the entire form transmitted in the netfile or will this be missed when submitted?

Thanks.

I have the same problem as reported by others. I have enterd an amount in the "Net Capital Loss for Carryback" box of the T1A form that opens up in the Loss carryback Interview section.

But when I open up my Tax Return only page 1 of the T1A form shows up and for some reason it includes entries in the first section "Non Capital Losses". Page 2 of the form, inlcuding the section on Net Captial Losses and the figure I entered in the Interview section, are nowhere to be seen.

In previous years both pages of the T1A form have shown up, clearly confirming a request to carry back a net capital loss and reassess the prior year return. So, I am not comfortable with any of the explanations offered to date.

Unless I am missing something, there may a problem with the software that needs checking. Can an administrator have someone look into this? How can I confirm that my request to carry back my loss and to reassess my prior return will be sent on to CRA?

Update on March 29 to my post of 28 March (which for some reason is dated March 04)

Problem solved.

On closer examination, Pg 2 of 2 of the T1A form showing my request for carryback of net capital losses is included in my pdf Tax Return. It is near the end of 68 pages, separated from pg 1 of 2 by some 50 pages of schedules and other forms!

Thanks Robocat I had the same problem and Ufile customer service was useless in helping to find the solution. You are correct, I found page 2 many pages further on. Why it isn't together with page 1 is odd ... seems buggy.

A further way to verify that T1A claim is actually being submitted to CRA is to look at the Efile - Return Record (page 33 in my return).

if i have capital gain in 2015,2016 and 2017, lost in 2018. Can i carry back some amount to 2015 and some to 2016? At the same time, if i have loss in 2019, can i carry back some amount to 2016 again?