Français
DevDye

Tuition Deductions

Hello,

So my taxes are relatively simple as I am a student. However, I am having issues on Ufile when submitting my tuition. Before I insert my tuition amount from my T2202A, my refund comes in under $1,500... after the tuition is submitted,  the refund comes in at under $400. Is there a reason for this? It seems a bit backwards.

Thanks for your help.

List the tuition by institution. If the total amount of tuition is less than $100, the program will not calculate the deduction, as this deduction would be denied anyway.

Tuition fees must be entered in the file of the person who incurred the fees. Enter a brief description of school expenses, and then enter the amount of tuition paid for the tax year.

Schedule 11 must be filed with the student's tax return.

Depending on your province or territory of residence, you may need to enter information that is specific to your province or territory of residence. Please follow the steps below:

1. In the "QuikClik Navigator" to the left of the screen, select "Interview setup".

2. In the section "Deductions and credits", check the box for "Tuition, education, textbooks, student loans" and click "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and select the item "Tuition, education, student loans".

4. On the screen to your right, choose the line "Tuition, education and textbook amounts* (line 323)".

5. On the page that appears, enter the information relevant to your situation depending on where you live. Also, enter the number of months of post-secondary full-time or part-time studies, if applicable, as per the information appearing on your T2202A statement.

For Quebec residents, enter the information found on the RL-8 slip. For the 2013 tax year, the RL-8 slip has been modified. There are two boxes where the tuition or examination fees are entered, based on the date on which the expenses were incurred, namely "Boxes B1 and B2".

6. For the line "Eligible tuition fees paid for 2013", enter the total amount of boxes B1 and B2 of the RL-8 slip.

7. For the line "Portion of the tuition fees entitlement at a rate of 20% (Schedule T, line 30)", enter the amount displayed in box B1 of the RL-8 slip.

The program will generate Schedule 11 to determine the education and textbook amounts to which you are entitled, as well as Schedule T for Quebec residents.

Please note that you can carry forward this amount to a future year, or transfer it to a parent or relative

For more information about tuition, education, and textbook amounts, including the transfer and carryforward of fees, please consult the following links:

For the CRA :

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/323/menu-eng.html

For residents of Quebec, if applicable :

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/sepf/publications/in/in-112.aspx

another point to look at is the working income tax benefit.  Before you enter your tuition fees, you may have been entitled to the WITB, and the program would have added this in for you.  Unfortunately, if you are a full time student, you are not eligible for the WITB, so the program would have taken this credit away from you resulting in a lower return.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/menu-eng.html