Français

Rental income - can't see my co-owner's details (my spouse)

tiny

This is my first time to use UFile, took me long time to figure it out, I think it's a good software. My husband and I have been filing separately for years, so we still file separately this year. We've each 50% of share on our rental property, I put his details on my rental income section already (I have a Mac so I use UFile Online), but after I downloaded the PDF file and opened it, I can't see his details under "Details of other co-owners and partners" section in my Statement of Real Estate Rentals. What did I do wrong? Anyone can help me here? Thanks!

If the rental property is owned by a partnership, one of the partners in the company could be either your spouse or other people.

In order to report a rental income, follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", select the item "Rental income" and in the page on your right, choose "T776 - Rental income property".

2- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and choose the item "Partners".

3- In the screen on your right, you have two (2) choices, "Spouse co-owner of this rental property" or "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property".

4- If your spouse is co-owner, you have two choices in the drop-down menu, "Generate rental income statement for spouse" or "Do not generate rental income statement for spouse".

5- If you choose the first option, it is not necessary to enter information about the building in your spouse's file. However, the program will generate the Statement of Real estate Rental, both federal and Quebec for Quebec residents.

6- However, if you have different expenses, you should select the second option and the program will not generate the statement of real estate rentals automatically, in which case you must enter the complete information relating to the rental property in your spouse's file.

7- If none of the other partners is your spouse, you must choose "Other partner or co-owner of this rental property" and enter the name, the address, SIN as well as the share of ownership. The program will prorate the income and expenses. The partner must enter into his own file all the information relating to the property.

8- Please note that in the page "T776 - Rental property identification", the percentage that you must enter in the fields for "Percentage interest in the partnership" and "Your share (%) of ownership if other than 100%" should be identical.

For more information regarding rental income, please visit the following CRA link:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/126/menu-eng.html

Thank you Gabriel.

I followed the steps you mentioned, in step 4, I had the first option, however I still entered information in my spouse's file. I don't have other partners, only me and my husband each have 50% share.  In step 8, in the page of "T776-Rental property identification", I don't see a field "Percentage interest in the partnership" but I did fill "Your share of ownership if other than 100%" as 50%.

When I look at my return's PDF file, on Statement of Real Estate Rentals, it shows my percentage of ownership is 50%, but under "Details of other co-owners and partners" section, no information showing at all, all blank. Everything else looks alright though. 

On other pages (other than Statement of Real Estate Rentals), his information shows properly.

My husband and I always file separately, is it the reason? Please help! Thank you!

• 8 years later...