Jump to content

Postdoc in a foreign country

Recommended Posts

In September 2013 I moved to Germany to take up a postdoctoral fellowship at a university here. (Before then I was a student in Ontario). I don't receive an income here but a tax-free "stipend."


Do I need to claim this on my Canadian tax return for 2013? If so, what box does it go in? Is it just regular income from Canada's point of view, or something else?


Note that since I moved here in September there is no question of whether I am a deemed resident of Canada for 2013 tax purposes (I am. Things will change for 2014 but that's another issue.). My question is basically just about what I need to report this as.


I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...