Français
shudder

Why must I report that my spouse's adjusted taxable income is NIL?

Hi there,

I'm preparing my return along with my spouse for the first time, and I'm confused about one requirement on the "Controls" section. The instruction says:

"If applicable, please select Yes to confirm that your spouse's adjusted taxable income is NIL"

This question is repeated for provincial/territorial income.

Why do I have to confirm my spouse's adjusted taxable income is NIL? Because it most certainly isn't.... But if I answer "no", I'm afraid I won't be able to NETFILE. The help section says:

"This is a mandatory requirement from CRA for NETFILE, you have to answer YES to this question to confirm the calculation done by the program, UFile will prompt you to do so in the NETFILE section when you calculate and access the Results page."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What type of income does she have?  Certain types of income are claimed by the higher-income earner, so even though she has some income, UFile may be transferring it over to you to comply with CRA rules.  One example I can think of is EIA payments in Manitoba - they are entered under the person who's name is on the slip, but if the spouse's income is higher, the amount is transferred to the spouse.

You should not answer the questions in the Controls section unless you receive a diagnostic in the Results page after clicking the Results tab.

As the Help says "UFile will prompt you to do so in the NETFILE diagnostics section when you calculate (i.e. click the Results tab) and access the Results page".

The diagnostics will be produced only when there is a transfer of credits from one spouse to the other, i.e. Schedule 2 and the corresponding Provincial (S2) are generated, and certains conditions apply.

When such a diagnostic is produced, the answer should always be Yes. 

It doesn't matter what I answer in this section - yes, no or left as "select...".  Every variation I've tried results in the same error message and the statement that I cannot file electronically.

If users are not supposed to answer these questions, then that instruction should be right there on the page, not hidden in a help file.  I didn't think I needed help with that section until it prevented me from filing online.  :(