Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mel Deogrades

Ontario residence and income as well as quebec income

Recommended Posts

Resident from another province working in Quebec 


If you worked in Quebec in the current taxation year, but resided in another province (e. g. in Ontario), you should have received two tax slips: a federal T4 slip and a Quebec RL-1 slip.

In order to enter the information found on these slips using the program, please follow these steps:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "T4 and employment income" and, on the screen located on the right-hand side, first select "T4 and RL-1 (Relevé 1) income earned in Quebec".
2- Enter the information from the T4 and the RL-1 slip and, from the drop-down menu of box 10, select the province of employment;
3 - If you have an amount in box J of the RL-1, ignore it because this amount shall be taxable only for resident of Quebec, as it is included with medical expenses. While for residents of other Provinces / Territories that amount cannot be claimed as a medical expense because the premium has been paid by the employer;
4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and select "Ontario tax and credits" (or from any other province of residence as appropriate) and enter the required information, if applicable.

By clicking on the "Results" tab, you'll notice on line 437 of the federal return that the amount of total income tax deducted corresponds to the box 22 of the T4 and box E of the RL-1 slip.

Also in the "Result" tab if you have the following "Warning", "The pensionable earnings entered for a T4 exceed the amount of T4 income". Please ignore this warning.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your quick reply.  It certainly helps a lot. 


Just to reclarify that I worked both in Ontario (Ontario Income) and Quebec (Quebec Income) for the same employer.  According to your instructions in reporting, I must enter my Ontario income (t4 Income box 14) and my Quebec Income (rel-1 box A) using dropdown menu in box 10. which line should I check for my income total?  Also I have to ensure that the income tax deducted from Ontario (T4) and Quebec(rel-1) are both entered using the RESULTS tab line 437 if the total is correct.


Also I need to make sure that other rel-1 box amounts are entered.


Thank you for the precautions, warnings and ignored amounts as this was giving me doubts if I had entered the data correctly.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

"which line should I check for my income total?"


I am not sure I understand what you mean. Please send a request to support@ufile.ca, one of our agents will provide instructions on how to send us a copy of your return so we can take a look a it. Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2013 ImpôtExpert, Thomson Reuters. Tous droits réservés. Politique de confidentialité
  • Create New...