Français
kstaxfiler

2014 "Family Tax Cut"

I am wondering how the 2014 Family Tax Cut will work, and if that's something that UFile will do - as in, the transfer of income from one spouse to another when there are children under 18. My understanding is that the cut is proposed for the 2014 tax year, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Please follow the procedure below:

1. In the file of the family head, in the "QuikClik Navigator" on your left, choose the item "Spouse interview type". You must choose "Complete Information (Recommended)", otherwise the program will not calculate Schedule 1-A, which determines the Family Tax Cut.

2. Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" on the left side of the screen, and select "Controls";

3. In the page on your right, choose the "Schedule 1-A – Family tax cut" section and for the line "Claim the family tax cut?", from the drop-down menu, choose the option that is appropriate for your situation. Only one person can claim this non-refundable credit;

4. You must confirm that you have a child under the age of 18. On the next line, select "Yes" from the drop-down menu to confirm that you had a child under the age of 18 at the end of the year.

5. Again in the "Maxback Controls" page, answer the other three (3) questions from the "Schedule 1-A – Family tax cut" section.

Schedule 1-A of the federal return will be generated by the program in the file of the person who will claim the Family Tax Cut and will indicate on line 21 the tax credit for the Family Tax Cut.

If you forgot to answer one of the questions, a Warning will be generated under the "Results" tab displaying the questions you forgot to answer, such as "You must confirm that you had a child under 18 years the end of the year. Click here." By clicking the link, the program will take you back to the "Maxback Controls" page and a red arrow will indicate the line or lines to correct.

Please ensure that you have made the necessary corrections in the file, otherwise you will not be able to file your return via NETFILE.

Hi Gabriel,

To continue your procedure, exactly about the other three (3) questions from the "Schedule 1-A – Family tax cut" section:

Please clarify the question:

"Please select Yes to confirm that the spouse or common-law partner amount is NIL.(see your Schedule 1-A Line 498)"

My questions are:

1. Where exactly I can find Line 498 of Schedule 1-A? Is it within the UFile Software, or on a document?

2. Which exactly the "amount" it refers to when it says "spouse or common-law partner amount"?

Thanks

No matter what I try, the Family Tax Cut will not be applied. I have a large income (100k+) while her only income was about $6,000, and another $11500 for EI as she was on maternity leave this year. She was also a part time student last year.

I have selected that my spouse return be complete information rather than net income. I have selected yes to claim the family tax cut on my tax return. I have answered yes that I have a dependent child under the age of 18. I have answered No (497), Yes (498), and Yes (499). However, the family tax cut would not apply. I have tried every combination of Yes or No for all of these questions, just to see if it would apply something to line 423, but no dice.

I can see nothing about Schedule 1A in my actual return (the UFile PDF version), and nothing appears on line 423. According to CRA's website, our family meets all the criteria for the tax cut, and I have followed the instructions you have given exactly. Please advise.

No matter what I try, the Family Tax Cut will not be applied. I have a large income (100k+) while her only income was about $6,000, and another $11500 for EI as she was on maternity leave this year. She was also a part time student last year.

I have selected that my spouse return be complete information rather than net income. I have selected yes to claim the family tax cut on my tax return. I have answered yes that I have a dependent child under the age of 18. I have answered No (497), Yes (498), and Yes (499). However, the family tax cut would not apply. I have tried every combination of Yes or No for all of these questions, just to see if it would apply something to line 423, but no dice.

I can see nothing about Schedule 1A in my actual return (the UFile PDF version), and nothing appears on line 423. According to CRA's website, our family meets all the criteria for the tax cut, and I have followed the instructions you have given exactly. Please advise.

Since this is our first year filing with a child, surprise surprise we didn't realize we needed to add a dependent to our "family" in UFile. Once the dependent is added, it all works out.

Since this is our first year filing with a child, surprise surprise we didn't realize we needed to add a dependent to our "family" in UFile. Once the dependent is added, it all works out.

THANK YOU! I was pulling my hair out also and this was the solution. Quick fix and I went from a balance owing to $50 refund!

In a family situation where the head of the family has a pension (but chose not to split pension earnings), have a spouse with lower income, and two underage dependants, there is NOT option to choose "Family Tax Cut" even thought the software calculates it.

The problem is that he cannot Netfile taxes for the head tax payer because he has no way to correct the errors or warnings.

Under "Spouse Interview" he chooses "Complete interview", but under "Control" there is NOT any option to choose "Family Tax Cut" on the right hand side of the screen.

Any help please???

Thank you!

I don't know the correct answer for this question:

If applicable (click ? for details), please select Yes to confirm that the amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner is NIL. (see your Schedule 1-A, line 499)

I don't know where to view Schedule 1-A in UFile to determine what the amount is on line 499.

I found a blank copy of Schedule 1-A online to see if I could figure it out, but it says:

Enter the amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner from line 326 of Schedule 1.

I can't see line 326 on Schedule 1 in UFile either! Please help.

Hello,

You have to answer ''YES'' to the question ''If applicable, please select Yes to confirm that the amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law Partner is NIL''. This is because you have a spouse who earns more that $11,138, so the answer should be 'YES'.

Hello,

After entering the data, Ufile shows a non-zero amount in my column for line 498 and a zero amount in my wife's.

My understanding is that a non-zero amount means that it is not NIL, but if I answer "No" to that question, Ufile will not let me claim the family tax cut.

Please advise.

This question is not entirely clear due to the bolded text: "please select Yes to confirm that the spouse or common-law partner amount is NIL". There are two columns. It doesn't say "...confirm that your spouse or common-law partner amount..." or "...confirm that your spouse's spouse or common law partner amount...". It just says "the". Does that mean both columns must be NIL? Or just one? Which one?

The lines 496,497, 498 and 499 is for the Column 2 (Eligible Spouse). If those lines are blank, please select "yes" to the questions on Controls page.

"the spouse or common-law partner amount" is the name of credit that goes on line 303 of Schedule 1. If the line 498 (Column 2) is blank on Schedule 1A, please say "yes" to that question.

Hello,

After entering the data, Ufile shows a non-zero amount in my column for line 498 and a zero amount in my wife's.

My understanding is that a non-zero amount means that it is not NIL, but if I answer "No" to that question, Ufile will not let me claim the family tax cut.

Please advise.

If line 498 on Column 2 (Schedule 1A) is blank, select "yes" to the question "please select Yes to confirm that the spouse or common-law partner amount is NIL". NIL means 0 so you should select "yes" instead of "no".

This question is not entirely clear due to the bolded text: "please select Yes to confirm that the spouse or common-law partner amount is NIL". There are two columns. It doesn't say "...confirm that your spouse or common-law partner amount..." or "...confirm that your spouse's spouse or common law partner amount...". It just says "the". Does that mean both columns must be NIL? Or just one? Which one?

The lines 496,497, 498 and 499 is for the Column 2 (Eligible Spouse). If those lines are blank, please select "yes" to the questions on Controls page.

"the spouse or common-law partner amount" is the name of credit that goes on line 303 of Schedule 1. If the line 498 (Column 2) is blank on Schedule 1A, please say "yes" to that question.