Français
dba12345

Dependant parents

My parents are dependants living with us I have claimed them in the past.  This year the program field in dependent identification marital status will not allow me to claim them as married.  Is there an error in the program. 

I had a problem with my file from last year I just received a notice that the dependents claimed the $75 sales tax credit twice.  ufile did this even though they were claimed as married. 

I had the same problem with my file last year, this year the program field in dependent identification marital status will not allow me to claim them as married, can any one Help please !

Your father and your mother live with you, but are not necessarily depending on you financially. However, you can still claim certain credits.

To claim your credits, including the caregiver credit, please follow the procedure below:

1. Under the "Interview" tab, select "Family members" and click on "Add family member";

2. On the page that appears to your right, choose "Add a dependant";

3. Under the "QuikClik Navigator", on the left side of the screen, select "Identification" and fill in the page and for the question: "Marital Status on December 31 2014" select "Single" in the drop-down menu;

4. For the question "Does this taxpayer require a tax return? " in the drop-down menu on your right, choose "No", because the information is only to allow you to claim certain credits as both your parents will have produced their own tax return. Click on "Next";

5. Return to the left side of the screen under the "QuikClik Navigator" and select the option "Net income". Then, on the screen to your right, enter the relevant information. You can find the net income for your dependants on line 236 of the Federal return and on line 275 of the Quebec return;

6. In the "Medical, disability, caregiver" option, select the item that corresponds to the credits you want to claim, such as the "Caregiver amount to claim for this dependant (line 315, Quebec line 462) "or the" Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant ".

Federal Schedule 5 will be generated in your return and will indicate whether you can claim the credit for caregivers, while for residents of Quebec, Schedule H will be generated by the program if you qualify.

Hi Gaetan,

My concern is that, if my parents live with me and financially depend on me, having their tax returns filed separately may affect my refund amount. In that case, what will be the best solution?

I don't know if UFile support staff constantly monitors the forum and provides support promptly. But, isn't this some problem that UFile needs to fix?

Thanks.

I am having the same issues with carrying over from 2013 to 2014 of dependent parents marital status. I've tried the solution as indicated in this thread, but now I can't produce a tax return for my dependents. This is truly frustrating. The amount i can claim is the same with and without the change as per the solution with this issue. I wish Ufile would admit in fixing this bug. It does not make sense that in the 2013 version there was no issue with marital status for dependents and yet in 2014 there is!!!

I don't want CRA questioning me why the marital status has changed from 2013 married to 2014 single on the tax return. Ufile programmers fix this bug!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Here is what happening in Ufile sofware in this regard as per “pupuch06” on other section of this forum , 

The “married” status is removed from a dependent's file due to following reasons:

1. It created a confusion among clients
  1. Credits were not claimed properly when the dependents files were complex

Therefore, clients requested to remove the “married” status.

Please follow the instruction below.

1. In order to claim the credits for married dependents, please make their status SINGLE and keep them in your file.
  2. Claim all possible credits and transmit your and your spouse’s return if applicable. Do NOT transmit your dependents’ returns within your tax file.
  3. Create a separate file for your married dependents
  4. Enter their information. Note that if, for example, you have claimed your dependents’ medical expenses, enter only unused portion in their file to claim the balance. Make sure not to claim the same credit twice.
  5. Transmit your dependents’ returns.

Really, I can't believe this. Ufile instead of working on a solution to fix the issue for complex returns, took the easy way out by removing "Married" choice and throw the problem to our side that needed to be there to choose from. 

THIS WOULD BE THE LAST TIME BUYING YOUR SOFTWARE AND WILL TELL EVERYONE TO AVOID YOU. 

I have this same situation where in my in-laws are living with us and totally dependent on us. Before submitting through Netfile, I wondered by the marital status = Married disappeared. 

After trying to understand what's posted on this community site, I made their status as SINGLE.

Comparing how I filed taxes between 2013 and 2014, the only thing I have to change is this status from MARRIED to SINGLE.

Today, I received a mail from CRA saying my father in-law changed his marital status and now "owed" the CRA.

With this situation:

- How can I tell CRA that the software I used removed the status = MARRIED (which was always available except Ufile 2014) so I had no choice but to use SINGLE?

I can't believe I have to go through this situation now. What happened UFile? I have been using you for so many years, this tax year - this is a huge let down. Removing "MARRIED" is not the correct solution. I was really hoping you will add the status back as part of your update.

Anyone who's facing the same situation - pls. let me know the next best step. Thanks.

Oltan1 ,

Its funny , I had the same problem like yours . I just let this Single and Married issue go , because I can't be bothered by this dependant status . Now , today we got CRA 's Letter , ask for the payment since my parents' marital status changed last year . Guess I have to call CRA to explain this situation Monday . I will let you know once I got the answer .

Hi All, 

have you both submitted your dependent's tax returns within your return?

With prior years ufile's software you could have netfile your dependent returns within the file that you created for your return. But this year you wouldn’t want to do that due to their marriage status issue. Thanks to ufile as they chose the easy way out for the problem that they were facing in more complex returns and they decided to remove the "married" option for dependents. (as I understood from other threads of this forum) 

So, what I end up decided to do was to file their return separately as a couple.

I have not received any CRA's notice so far. I am not sure if is too early to say that or not, but I have received my refunds as well as my dependents has received their’s. 

Now the difference between this year and prior years is that I had to enter my dependents info twice. Once on my return in order to calculate their tax credits (Caregiver Amount) and once for their own tax return on separate file. This also counted as one of my free returns that ufile offered for its software. 

at the end of the day, (Ufile, you better read this) I am done with them and I will use their competition next year.  

what I can suggest is to call CRA and explain what has happened with ufile and see if you can resubmit their returns separately as couple. Good-luck  

Unfortunately, I missed step 2 when you said NOT to submit it and file separately.

Piltan: What you have shared is a workaround (alternative solution) but it does not make sense why the married status was removed. It's good that you have found an alternative way of submitting your returns using Ufile 2014 this way (save but not submit; open a new file instead, solution)

Also, just to add. Since my in-laws are both files as SINGLE, the letter I got from the CRA specifically impacted GST/HST credit - nothing more. My father in-law got a letter that he owed ___ amount from Jan 2015-April 2015 due to the status change. My mom-in-law on the other hand received money. 

I will be calling the CRA about this 'mistake' and see if they can revert the status change on both my in-laws CRA records and hope things will go back to how it was before this Ufile 'married status' removal happened. 

Will share here how things go.

(Such unnecessary stress all because of this change)

Ufile should be smart enough to detect this status change and not allow me to submit it their returns to the CRA as I have loaded previous Ufile 2013 returns for comparison. I hope this gets corrected in Ufile 2015.

Unfortunately, I missed step 2 when you said NOT to submit it and file separately.

Piltan: What you have shared is a workaround (alternative solution) but it does not make sense why the married status was removed. It's good that you have found an alternative way of submitting your returns using Ufile 2014 this way (save but not submit; open a new file instead, solution)

Also, just to add. Since my in-laws are both files as SINGLE, the letter I got from the CRA specifically impacted GST/HST credit - nothing more. My father in-law got a letter that he owed ___ amount from Jan 2015-April 2015 due to the status change. My mom-in-law on the other hand received money. 

I will be calling the CRA about this 'mistake' and see if they can revert the status change on both my in-laws CRA records and hope things will go back to how it was before this Ufile 'married status' removal happened. 

Will share here how things go.

(Such unnecessary stress all because of this change)

Ufile should be smart enough to detect this status change and not allow me to submit it their returns to the CRA as I have loaded previous Ufile 2013 returns for comparison. I hope this gets corrected in Ufile 2015.

I'm in exactly the same situation as y'all.  UFile didn't carry over "Married" properly and I missed it, submitted as both of them as "Single".  So lame.  What a waste of time... now I have to phone CRA during business hours to explain the situation for both of them.

In addition, I have to call Ontario Trillium also as my mom-in-law is now getting money from that program as well. Makes me want to let this go and take care of the status change back to married next tax year. And pay back all the money owed.

I called CRA this morning: 1-800-959-8281 (don't call GST/HST credit or Ontario Trillium)

As per CRA agent, download the RC65 form (Marital Status Change) and fill it up and send it to the CRA.

I was told that for corrections, it cannot be done by phone (have not tried online yet).

So that's it I guess.

Hello,

As I have mentioned on my previous postings, Ufile instead of working on a solution to fix the issue for complex returns, took the easy way out by removing "Married" choice and throw the problem to our side that needed “Married” option to be there to choose from. 

SO, Ufile exactly knows what is happening to their software in regards to your dependents marital status. I agree with the alert that they should have set to warn us about dependents marital status change before submitting their return within our file. 

For me , I just came across to it during my routine double check, when realized that their marital status is Single and there is no Married option available to choose. 

This delayed my return almost 2 weeks to find out why. At the end I decided to follow “pupuch06” instruction in this forum and file their return separately.

By the way, ufile HAS BEEN smart enough to detect this status change because they did knew about it all along to fix the problem that they were facing on more complex returns but, they let you carry on as the same as years before without alerting you about it and I doubt they would want to correct this problem in 2015 software because, again, it is easy solution for them not necessary for you.

Ufile admitted they are incompetent and screwed up. THey claimed dependent parents situation is rare and complex, no tax software can handle this.... what a shame, do you still want to use Ufile?  they also deleted all my posts on facebook ufile page.