Français
Sign in to follow this  
hmac

NR4 Tax Withheld - for line 437

Hi there,

In the UFile "interview" I have entered the amount of tax withheld as indicated in box 17 on the NR4.

However, later when I click the "results", this amount is not showing on line 437 as a deduction to what is owed.  

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know why the tax withheld is not being deducted from the amount owed?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I entered the amount on the "Non-resident, Section 216 Election" screen in the row indicating "NR4-OAS"... but I now realise that OAS means Old Age Security, so that is not what I'm looking for.

Later, in "Deductions, Installments" there is a place where periodic tax payments could be entered.  But I think that is related to installment plans and would put the amount of tax paid on line 476.  

NR4 payments are deductions of income tax at source, so I was expecting the amount to go on line 437.  Is there a way to access line 437 in UFile for tax withheld on rental income (box 17 on an NR4)?

You do have to select "Non-resident electing under section 216" but do not enter any amount in this form. After that, create a rental income page by selecting "Rental property income" in the interview setup.

Fill the identification section and then indicate the "Gross rental income" (NR4 box 16) in the "Income, expenses" page.

Create an T4A by selecting "Pension income and split pension income" in the Interview setup. Enter the "Tax withheld" amount (NR4 box 17) in box 022 - federal income tax deducted. Note that you should file a 216 return only if you have a refund since the tax withheld is your final obligation.

Hi there,

I have a NR4 form and the income code of box 14 is "61 : Arms' length interest payments". Since I didn't see NR4 page in the interview setup and my case is different than the one described above, which forms should I choose?

By the way, box 17 of my NR4 is empty and box 16 is "Gross income"

Thanks in advance,