Français
sonicwithtails

Cannot choose my dependent's marital status as "married"

I recently downloaded the latest 2014 ufile software version and prepared my tax return. I carried over my 2013 ufile tax file. In my 2013 file, both my parents were my dependents and their marital status was "married".

However, the 2014 ufile software does not allow me to set their martial status as "married". I only have 4 options in "Marital status on December 31, 2014" under "Dependent Identification"

Single

Widowed

Separated

Divorced

I tried to add yet an extra new dependent just to test, and I still only see the 4 options. In comparison, I used to be able to choose "Married" and "Common law" for my parents in my 2013 ufile software, but now these 2 options are gone.

Is this a bug? Can someone help me?

A screenshot of the issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2yfumGQLKshUmowVGZlZ28zVDA/view?usp=sharing

This is the screenshot from Ufile 2013. It allowed me to choose "married"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2yfumGQLKshZF9NRDFSUm8zbHM/view?usp=sharing

And I also asked a friend to try this on her computer with Ufile2014 and she gets the same issue as I described in my above post. So this is a generic issue.

Can someone from Ufile explain why there is such a change, or fix the issue if it is a bug?

sonicwithtails, I just opened my 2014 Ufile to look at that, and since the 2013 info was carried over to it, the clients marital status is still there showing as married. The identification page info is already there. I did not have to reenter it. Maybe you have to carry the information over again and make it rewrite whatever is in the file. That could help you

Issue not solved.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi Rishona,

Thank you for the help. I tried to carry over my 2013 tax file to Ufile2014 again, and still get the exact same issue. Please note my issue is ONLY regarding dependents. I can still set myself as "married" as family head, but there is no way whatsoever to set a dependent as "married", being carried over or not.

Like I said you cannot even add a new dependent and set him/her as "married". Ufile2014 removed that option for no obvious reason.

I am having the same problem with not being able to select marital status "Married" for my parents as dependants. I am not sure filing tax returns for them separately is the right solution. Has anyone received any updates from UFile?  Thanks.

Your father and your mother live with you, but are not necessarily depending on you financially. However, you can still claim certain credits.

To claim your credits, including the caregiver credit, please follow the procedure below:

1. Under the "Interview" tab, select "Family members" and click on "Add family member";

2. On the page that appears to your right, choose "Add a dependant";

3. Under the "QuikClik Navigator", on the left side of the screen, select "Identification" and fill in the page and for the question: "Marital Status on December 31 2014" select "Single" in the drop-down menu;

4. For the question "Does this taxpayer require a tax return? " in the drop-down menu on your right, choose "No", because the information is only to allow you to claim certain credits as both your parents will have produced their own tax return. Click on "Next";

5. Return to the left side of the screen under the "QuikClik Navigator" and select the option "Net income". Then, on the screen to your right, enter the relevant information. You can find the net income for your dependants on line 236 of the Federal return and on line 275 of the Quebec return;

6. In the "Medical, disability, caregiver" option, select the item that corresponds to the credits you want to claim, such as the "Caregiver amount to claim for this dependant (line 315, Quebec line 462) "or the" Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant ".

Federal Schedule 5 will be generated in your return and will indicate whether you can claim the credit for caregivers, while for residents of Quebec, Schedule H will be generated by the program if you qualify.

Here is what happening in Ufile sofware in this regard as per “pupuch06” on other section of this forum , 

The “married” status is removed from a dependent's file due to following reasons:

1. It created a confusion among clients
  1. Credits were not claimed properly when the dependents files were complex

Therefore, clients requested to remove the “married” status.

Please follow the instruction below.

1. In order to claim the credits for married dependents, please make their status SINGLE and keep them in your file.
  2. Claim all possible credits and transmit your and your spouse’s return if applicable. Do NOT transmit your dependents’ returns within your tax file.
  3. Create a separate file for your married dependents
  4. Enter their information. Note that if, for example, you have claimed your dependents’ medical expenses, enter only unused portion in their file to claim the balance. Make sure not to claim the same credit twice.
  5. Transmit your dependents’ returns.

Really, I can't believe this. Ufile instead of working on a solution to fix the issue for complex returns, took the easy way out by removing "Married" choice and throw the problem to our side that needed to be there to choose from. 

THIS WOULD BE THE LAST TIME BUYING YOUR SOFTWARE AND WILL TELL EVERYONE TO AVOID YOU. 

I agree Piltan.  This will be my last time with ufile also.  I have had so many problems with their program.  My inlaws are 100% dependent on us.  Now with a seperate filing I am having a problem with the system not accepting that they have nil income and I have to mail their tax return for CRA to fix.  And last year the program double dipped on the sales tax credit which it is doing again.

The solution for this problem is not working, especially if you only need to claim one parent as a dependant and they are married. The net income amount also shows as an estimate in the results even though an accurate figure was given, and disablitly amounts for dependant are not being carried through to me. This is screwing up my taxes. How hard can it really be to do a software update with the married option being put back in?! Have been a loyal Ufile client for years, but if they don't fix this married issue for dependants, I am moving to a different tax software fast and never returning.

Exactly what I feel with Ufile. I've been using Ufile for years (10+) and this year I will switch to a different software for sure. 

The main reason I use Ufile in the first place is to make my tax work easier. Because of this stupidity, now I have to go back and forth with CRA - ending up have to pay them because I owe some money.

:(

The solution for this problem is not working, especially if you only need to claim one parent as a dependant and they are married. The net income amount also shows as an estimate in the results even though an accurate figure was given, and disablitly amounts for dependant are not being carried through to me. This is screwing up my taxes. How hard can it really be to do a software update with the married option being put back in?! Have been a loyal Ufile client for years, but if they don't fix this married issue for dependants, I am moving to a different tax software fast and never returning.