Français
fnahavandi

Getting error in result re T2125

Hi, I have completed my return and I am getting error message in the result saying that "The amount in T4A box 020 must be reported as business income".  I already completed the T2125 income as well as a commision income in T4A.  I compared everything to my 2011 return to ensure that I am not missing anything but still getting the message,  Please help me as I don't have much time to submit my tax.

You have received a T4A slip with an amount in box 020 for the commissions you received as self-employed. To enter this amount in the program, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" to the left of the screen, select "Pension income, T4A, split pension".

2- On the page that appears on the right, select "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

3- On the newly generated page, select "Box 020 - self-employment commissions (report this amount as a T2125 - Commission income)" and enter the amount from box 020 of the T4A slip.

4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click again on "Interview setup".

5- On the page that appears on the right, select the "Self-employment business income" and click Next".

6- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "Self-employment income" and, on the page appearing on the right, select "T2125 - Commission income".

7- On the page "Business identification", enter the name on the line "Name of the professional business (or your own name if the business does not have one)", then record the other information in the required fields marked with a red asterisk.

8- In the field for "6-digit code from the North American industry classification system", enter the code that best describes your industry. If you do not know the code, click on the tool tip (the question mark) (?) on the right-hand side of the box to get it.

9- In the section "Income and expenses", enter $0.00 for the line "Gross sales, commissions or fees" and enter the amount in box 020 of the T4A slip in the field "Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020)". If you have expenses, enter them in the boxes corresponding to their description.

The amount will be reported on lines 166 and 139 of the federal return, as well as on line 154 of the Quebec return and on line 25 of Quebec Schedule L, if applicable. The program will also generate federal form T2125, as well as Quebec form TP-80 if required.

You have received a T4A slip with an amount in box 020 for the commissions you received as self-employed. To enter this amount in the program, please follow the steps below:

1- In the "QuikClik Navigator" to the left of the screen, select "Pension income, T4A, split pension".

2- On the page that appears on the right, select "T4A - Pension, retirement, annuity, and other income".

3- On the newly generated page, select "Box 020 - self-employment commissions (report this amount as a T2125 - Commission income)" and enter the amount from box 020 of the T4A slip.

4- Return to the "QuikClik Navigator" and click again on "Interview setup".

5- On the page that appears on the right, select the "Self-employment business income" and click Next".

6- In the "QuikClik Navigator", click on the line "Self-employment income" and, on the page appearing on the right, select "T2125 - Commission income".

7- On the page "Business identification", enter the name on the line "Name of the professional business (or your own name if the business does not have one)", then record the other information in the required fields marked with a red asterisk.

8- In the field for "6-digit code from the North American industry classification system", enter the code that best describes your industry. If you do not know the code, click on the tool tip (the question mark) (?) on the right-hand side of the box to get it.

9- In the section "Income and expenses", enter $0.00 for the line "Gross sales, commissions or fees" and enter the amount in box 020 of the T4A slip in the field "Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020)". If you have expenses, enter them in the boxes corresponding to their description.

The amount will be reported on lines 166 and 139 of the federal return, as well as on line 154 of the Quebec return and on line 25 of Quebec Schedule L, if applicable. The program will also generate federal form T2125, as well as Quebec form TP-80 if required.

Thanks but there is something missing in item #9. There is no Self-employed commissions (T4A Box 020) in this section

There are lines for T4 box 81, T4 box 82, T4 box 83 and T4A box 28 and T4A box 48 BUT NO LINE for  T4A Box 020!!!!

I have fixed the above by deleting the T4A and T2125 as a whole and started to repeat the things and you instructed, which is good now, however, I am getting another message the doesn't allow me to net file. The warning "Your tax return contains negative entries on lines where they are not permitted for Netfile purposes". Line 139 "Commission Income (Net) is showing negative becuase I am showing a loss. At the same time, I am showing income in my T4 which offset this negative. so what is wrong?

Gabriel,

Yes, there is an income and expenses. This is how the system generates, not me! If the income should be positive or perhaps 0, then the expenses should be shown in antother place, under another line. The system calculates the income and expenses all together which ends up having negative amount in line 139. If this is not the way it should be, there has to be something wrong! It could be eithe  a system issue or the way I input!  I followed the instruction that you sent me step by step. Why I am getting this, I don't know? I need to file my tax and needs some answer. Maybe I can provide you with a copy of my tax file which allow you to see it by yourself. Please let me know. Thanks

Yes, please send a copy of the file to help@ufile.ca (UFile ONLINE) or support@ufile.ca (UFile for Windows) following this procedure:

UFile ONLINE:

1. Login to UFile ONLINE
2. Select "Help".
3. Choose "Support request form".
4. Answer the questions.
5. In the box, "If this is a follow-up, please enter your UFile request number here", enter the request number that appears in the subject line of this email (UFXXXXX).
6. Be sure to check the box "Check to authorize UFile to VIEW your tax file." *

* Our support staff is likely to find solutions to a problem faster if they can review the tax information you have entered in your file.

If this box is checked when you submit your support request to UFile ONLINE, a copy of your tax information will be generated and stored in a secure area where access is restricted to our authorized support staff. This process takes place behind our firewalls and your data is not exposed to the insecure Internet at any time. Your tax information is not sent to our staff as an email attachment.

Your information will only be used to help our support staff resolve the problems you have reported, and will be automatically destroyed after 72 hours.

Ufile for Windows:

To do this, please go back to your file, access the "Help" menu on the top bar and select "Support Assistant". Click "Next" twice to advance to page 3, enter your email address and select a topic under "Select the most relevant category". In the box "If this is a follow-up, please enter your UFile request number here", enter the request number that appears on the first line of this email (e.g. UB1234) and then tick "Send a copy of your tax file...." in the box that will appear. Finally, click "Submit request" to send your request to our support staff.

Our support staff is likely to find solutions to a problem faster if they can review the tax information you have entered in your file. No need to worry about the confidentiality of the information provided. It will only be used to help our support staff resolve the problems you have reported and this temporary copy will be automatically destroyed after 72 hours.