Français

Adding dependents

XB70vulcan

• 4 weeks later...

This was ok for UFile 2013 but in UFile 2014 it doesn't have the option for Married and Common-law spouse when I add a new dependent.

In particular when I wanted to add my father and mother as dependent but now it defaults to single for Martial Status.

Also for UFile 2014 it also autogenerated a separate .u13 file for my father and mother when I added them as dependent.

Is there a bug in UFile 2014? 

why isn't anyone paying attention to this????????

Your father and your mother live with you, but are not necessarily depending on you financially. However, you can still claim certain credits.

To claim your credits, including the caregiver credit, please follow the procedure below:

1. Under the "Interview" tab, select "Family members" and click on "Add family member";

2. On the page that appears to your right, choose "Add a dependant";

3. Under the "QuikClik Navigator", on the left side of the screen, select "Identification" and fill in the page and for the question: "Marital Status on December 31 2014" select "Single" in the drop-down menu;

4. For the question "Does this taxpayer require a tax return? " in the drop-down menu on your right, choose "No", because the information is only to allow you to claim certain credits as both your parents will have produced their own tax return. Click on "Next";

5. Return to the left side of the screen under the "QuikClik Navigator" and select the option "Net income". Then, on the screen to your right, enter the relevant information. You can find the net income for your dependants on line 236 of the Federal return and on line 275 of the Quebec return;

6. In the "Medical, disability, caregiver" option, select the item that corresponds to the credits you want to claim, such as the "Caregiver amount to claim for this dependant (line 315, Quebec line 462) "or the" Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant ".

Federal Schedule 5 will be generated in your return and will indicate whether you can claim the credit for caregivers, while for residents of Quebec, Schedule H will be generated by the program if you qualify.

Thanks Gaetan for the prompt reply. That is exactly why I added my parents as dependent - to claim the caregiver credit for parents over 65 years of age.

What I was saying is that this feature is changed from UFile 2013 in a bad way in my opinion. In UFile 2013 you can declare them as Married under dependent family members and it will automatically produced the .u13 file for the Married dependent with all the information completed and ready to be filed to CRA.   This saves me the manual step to do their tax return separately again.

Oh well. I guess I will just have to do their taxes separately.