Français
Sign in to follow this  
ashishgulati

dependant

If your parents are living with you, without necessarily being your dependants from a financial standpoint, you will have to account for their situation during tax season.

First, you must create a file for your parents so that they can file their returns separately and transmit them to the competent authorities.

If there are any remaining credits that each spouse is not able to claim for themselves, and they allow you to claim them, as well as the credit for caregivers, please proceed as follows:

1. Under the "Interview", tab on line "Family head" or the first person, click on "Add a dependant" which is located to the right on this line.

2. Under the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Identification", fill in the page that appears on your right and for the line "Marital Status on December 31, 2015", select "Single" in the drop-down menu.

3. For the question "Does this taxpayer require a tax return?" in the drop-down menu  on your right, choose  "No", because the information is used only to allow you to claim certain credits, as both your parents will have produced their own tax returns. Click on "Next".

4. Return to the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab" and select the option "Net income". Then, on the screen to your right, enter the relevant information. You can find the net income for your dependants on line 236 of the Federal return and on line 275 of the Quebec return.

5. In the "Medical, disability, caregiver" option on the page to the right, select the items that correspond to the credits you want to claim for each parent, such as the "Caregiver amount to claim for this dependant (line 315, Quebec line 462)" or the "Infirmity and disability amounts for the dependant".

Federal Schedule 5 will be generated in your return and will indicate whether you can claim the credit for caregivers, while for residents of Quebec, Schedule H will be generated by the program if you qualify.

Finally, if the dependant can no longer transfer some credits to you the following year, then delete this file from your folder.

What would be the best course of action for a dependent who used to file the tax return together with the parents, but who has recently gotten married (and is considering filing together with the new spouse)? 

Thanks in advance! 

Your best course of action is remove yourself from your parents' file and to create a file for you and your spouse.

Note that you do not file together with your spouse.

Each spouse files separately.

There is no joint filing in Canada.

as per the usual reply from ufile, yet again. This feature worked just fine back in the 2013 file year, but was removed in 2014. Ufile claim this is a "feature" to protect people from making mistakes on their income tax. I call this a bug and a money grab from ufile as it forces you to make a separate file for your parents.

If I didn't already have 10 years worth of taxes done with ufile that I want to keep consistant records with I'd switch to another tax program provider.

Seriously ufile, fix the damn bug and re-enable the married parents as dependants. This has gotten beyond silly.

**WARNING**

If you select single for your parents, DO NOT netfile from your ufile account for your parents. The single status will get transmitted to CRA and screw up their GST rebate. Thanks to Ufile and this "safety feature" is BUG, my parents got the wrong GST rebate, we now owe CRA $600+ and it took 3 months to fix their marital status back to married.

you have been warned. all Ufile has to do is but a big bloody button asking .. "are your parents living with you, or are they classified as dependants as per the acceptance letter from CRA?" 

see Ufile, this is friggin easy and no more mistake from these "mysterious users". I see a lot more people on the forum complaining of this missing feature then I do of people saying your software filed their taxes wrong. It's pretty silly to think creating a second file just for your parents is less error prone then my suggestion. The very least you can do is add a button to copy the data from our return into a separate return for parents. Make it a wizard, charge me $5, that is fine. but to do the data entry all over again. Really ???

btw, in case you missed it, this is pissing me off as back in 2013 it worked FANTASTIC and EASY.

Somewhat related but different issue...

When I try to add a dependent.. I get the error "The Family member could not be added due to a conflict"

Sent and email in to see if they can help - but was hoping someone here would know.

Perhaps it is because all information was entered for myself and my spouse THEN we tried to add a dependent?

We cannot figure out what the problem is...

I ran into same trouble last year and still find this bug/issue on 2015 - it took me 6 months to dispute with CRA.

So I should state both of them are "Single" even though they're Married? How does that make sense? Someone from Ufile please clarify as I can't take the chance to have this repeated again.

I will have to give up using Ufile all together otherwise, if you do care about it.