BobArch

Problem with Auto-Fill

I was preparing my tax returns using UFile and employed the Auto-Fill function provided in UFile linking to CRA’s web site.

Observations:

1. Not all forms are currently on the CRA web site so only those filed by tax form issuers can be downloaded.
  2. Forms on the CRA web site do not have complete information… for example, when claiming pension income (Box 16), you must declare the type of pension income. For example, coming from a registered pension plan.
  3. If you have pension income coming from a unregistered plan, It has its own box… Box 109.

After performing the Auto-Fill and entering missing tax information from other slips I ran the calculation routine and found that I was getting a much larger refund that expected.

OK… time to NETFILE to get that large refund and I thought I better check some of the details. No need to go to prison for filing a false tax return. J

I’m glad I checked. I looked at the details pertaining to tax slips shown in the program and while all amounts showed as recorded in the “Interview” stage, one of the amounts did not appear in the summary page. On closer look, the problem appears to be with one of the downloaded Auto-Fill tax slips. It was missing the appropriate code for the Box 16 amount declaring that the pension income was from a registered plan.

I deleted the Auto-Filled downloaded tax slip and re-entered it manually. Did the recalculation and the refund was much smaller… but correct.

So, I would recommended that if you are going to use Auto-Fill, double check all the required fields.

I'll add another issue since this topic is pinned.

When filing a tax for myself and spouse I found I can't use autofill for my spouse. For me it downloads the data fine (what little is currently available at CRA). However, when attempting to download for my spouse I get a message that the minimum details of SIN, Birthdate, Province of Residence, and Marital Status must be filled in. I assume this is because the Spouse's Identification page doesn't appear to have Martial Status field. Again I'm assuming this is because it's a combined return and the Martial Status question was answered on my Identification page.

Seems like an oversight, but I wonder how it wasn't caught.

So far Autofill is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth, but it would have been cool if it worked well!

I used auto-fill for my tax report.

One T5008 form were retrieved from CRA for a transaction I have no memory of; I do not receive the same form by mail either. There's only proceeding amount, no cost amount in this form.

After checking the auto-filled forms with the paper forms received via mail (all match, except the extra T5008 form), I checked the summary, it showed I owe 10K tax. I removed the T5008 form because I do not receive it on paper by mail, and checked the summary again, my tax owed reduced to 4K.

I went on to buy the TurboTax for comparison. I had the same T5008 form via auto-fill as well. But in TurboTax, having or not having the T5008 form, my tax owed is about 4K. It seems TurboTax ignores the existence of the T5008 form.

I will be cautious when using the AUTO FILL feature. No problem downloading the T4s, T4As and othe T slips from the CRA and Revenu Quebec using the Auto Fill feature in STEP 2 Interview.

The problem is in STEP 3 Review. The amount calculated by Ufile in STEP 3 shows a SHOCKING amount that I have to pay the Federal and Provincial Tax. My total income is doubled after calculation by Ufile.

There is definitely a technical problem in the transfering of datas between the softwares between the CRA/Revenu Quebec and Ufile.

I will not use the Auto Fill feature until this problem is fixed. Entering the T slips data manually makes more sense.

Ufile should advise users of this flaw and maybe we should be compensated for a flawed software. I have reported this to UFILE but to date no response. This is the reason why I join this forum.

I used auto-fill for my tax report.

One T5008 form were retrieved from CRA for a transaction I have no memory of; I do not receive the same form by mail either. There's only proceeding amount, no cost amount in this form.

After checking the auto-filled forms with the paper forms received via mail (all match, except the extra T5008 form), I checked the summary, it showed I owe 10K tax. I removed the T5008 form because I do not receive it on paper by mail, and checked the summary again, my tax owed reduced to 4K.

I went on to buy the TurboTax for comparison. I had the same T5008 form via auto-fill as well. But in TurboTax, having or not having the T5008 form, my tax owed is about 4K. It seems TurboTax ignores the existence of the T5008 form.

T5008 slips from certain financial institutions are no longer generated. The annual summary of your mutual fund statement replaces T5008. That's the reason why you never received T5008 slip.  Also the data downloaded from CRA is missing the cost amount.. 

Finding major problems with Ufile's autofill implementation:

1. As Newbie reported, pension income was lost completely until I manually entered that it was a registered plan;

2. A T5008 was created as Investment Income, when it should have been Capital Gains.

Both of these had an impact of thousands of dollars.  Both required more effort to find and fix than was saved, and I am now going to have to check all downloaded data line by line to make sure there are no other errors.  My recommendation:  Don't use autofill!

I was preparing my tax returns using UFile and employed the Auto-Fill function provided in UFile linking to CRA’s web site.

Observations:

1. Not all forms are currently on the CRA web site so only those filed by tax form issuers can be downloaded.
  2. Forms on the CRA web site do not have complete information… for example, when claiming pension income (Box 16), you must declare the type of pension income. For example, coming from a registered pension plan.
  3. If you have pension income coming from a unregistered plan, It has its own box… Box 109.

After performing the Auto-Fill and entering missing tax information from other slips I ran the calculation routine and found that I was getting a much larger refund that expected.

OK… time to NETFILE to get that large refund and I thought I better check some of the details. No need to go to prison for filing a false tax return. J

I’m glad I checked. I looked at the details pertaining to tax slips shown in the program and while all amounts showed as recorded in the “Interview” stage, one of the amounts did not appear in the summary page. On closer look, the problem appears to be with one of the downloaded Auto-Fill tax slips. It was missing the appropriate code for the Box 16 amount declaring that the pension income was from a registered plan.

I deleted the Auto-Filled downloaded tax slip and re-entered it manually. Did the recalculation and the refund was much smaller… but correct.

So, I would recommended that if you are going to use Auto-Fill, double check all the required fields.

How did you delete the  Auto-Filled downloaded tax slip? I could not find any way to remove a wrong slip

I have 17 T3s listed on CRA.  When I used Autofill all 17 are listed and I accepted all.  However only the first 13 came across.  I ran again and de-selected first 13 and remaining 4 came across.  Is there a limit of 13 in Ufile? 

Also after downloading there were several entries flagged as an error as Name of Security is over a 30 character limit.  After speaking with CRA they assured me that this is a Ufile limit.  I can see this as the ones in excess of 30 characters were stored on CRA.  What the limit?  Should I simply chop off anything after the 30?

Autofill was supposed to be activited today (March 1st) by Revenue Québec, but I am getting an 'oups error' when I hit the download button. 

Hello,

Ref: Download tax data from Revenu Québec 

The Auto-fill my return service is available in v21.10 at the federal level.

Another version of UFile v21.11, which will be released on March 8, will be available to the provincial government for download tax data.

Revenu Québec is in the process of finalizing the service so that the service will be available soon to all users.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, Gaetan said:

Thank you for sharing this :)

Thanks, I am relieved not to be the only one to have problems with the CRA AUTOFILL.

I had autofill problem with T5008 with UFile for 2015 tax return. It used the settlement amount for gain or loss in my tax return. I ended up switched to tubobox for the 2015 tax return.

I bought UFile again for 2016 tax return. I did not have T5008 for 2016, so it worked fine.

Bought UFile again for 2017 tax return, auto-filled forms from CRA, manually added the cost base value, expense, exchange rate, etc to the auto-filled T5008, the [capital gain or loss] calculated from T5008 is reflected in schedule 3. Excellent!

But somehow the boxes in the auto-filled T5 forms are erased empty, but the T3 and T4 are OK. It was correct when I auto-filled the forms. I have compared the numbers in the all auto-filled forms with the paper forms I received. 

Tried to get update from CRA via auto-fill to get my RRSP amount for the first 60 days in 2018. No thing changed except the numbers I manually entered in T5008 get erased. The T5 forms remains empty except the "issuer" box. Still not see the RRSP amount contributed in 2018.

Just curious, what will be the consequence if I delete the downloaded T5 forms and add manually entered T5 forms in. Will it be different from the all downloaded forms or the all manually entered forms?

I gave up on autofill and entered everything manually. A lot of the Quebec forms came in empty with only the company name showing. No trouble with T5008 but had trouble with employment expenses. 

I feel your pain.  I am unable to even connect to the CRA server via UFile! I have made 3 requests for help with this issue.  I received only 1 response and guess what it was...yup, you got it ..... the automated response suggesting different links to try -  none of which solved the problem of course.  Contact with CRA has confirmed everything is ok from their end.

Another company just willing to take your money and run?  Shame on you UFile. 

On 2017-04-22 at 3:05 PM, jnjsmyth said:

I have 17 T3s listed on CRA.  When I used Autofill all 17 are listed and I accepted all.  However only the first 13 came across.  I ran again and de-selected first 13 and remaining 4 came across.  Is there a limit of 13 in Ufile? 

Also after downloading there were several entries flagged as an error as Name of Security is over a 30 character limit.  After speaking with CRA they assured me that this is a Ufile limit.  I can see this as the ones in excess of 30 characters were stored on CRA.  What the limit?  Should I simply chop off anything after the 30?

CRA and UFile didn’t even download all my T3s and now I pay penalty.  Even waited until after he T3 due date of March 31!