Français
Sign in to follow this  
ColinM

You have to confirm in the MaxBack controls page of the family head file that the amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner on line

When preparing our tax return the entries for my spouse I receive this 

warning:

You have to confirm in the MaxBack controls page of the family head file 
that the spouse or common-law partner amount on line 498 of Schedule 1-A 
is NIL. Click here.

You have to confirm in the MaxBack controls page of the family head file 
that the amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner on 
line 499 of Schedule 1-A is NIL. Click here.

However I've filled in everything in the MaxBack Control for both myself 
and my spouse. Any suggestions as I apparently won't be able to Netfile if this is unresolved. 

You can't fix it because there is no way to. I have been trying to fix it for a week and nothing I have done can get it to work properly. It is defective, like to program is what I think. Maybe you would have success if you try and contact the company who makes this program and get them to fix this broken program because I haven't been able to. GOOD LUCK!

Ok I've figured this out. Although the link in question takes me back to my spouse, I have to go to the Max Controls page on my own return since I'm the head of household. I had to change all the items about line 498/499 from No to Yes. 

Ok I've figured this out. Although the link in question takes me back to my spouse, I have to go to the Max Controls page on my own return since I'm the head of household. I had to change all the items about line 498/499 from No to Yes. 

Ya, but does that not mean that your wife did not make any money?

Just a little note to UFile folks: I've been using UFile for the past several years and this is the first year I'm having complications. I'm very disappointed with the lack of customer service, support and help. I will be looking for another tax prep software next year. Too bad.

Hi,

You must access the Family Head's file (not the spouse) and underneath the Interview tab you will find the  Controls page.

Under the section Schedule 1-A Family tax cut there are 2 questions:

- If applicable (click ? for details) please select Yes to confirm that the spouse of common law partner amount is Nil (see your Schedule 1-A line 498).

- If applicable (click ? for details) please select Yes to confirm that the amounts transferred from your spouse of common law partner is Nil (see your Schedule 1-A line 499).

Set both of these questions to "Yes".

Although the software can tell that the answer to these questions is "Yes" CRA requires that the user specifically enter "Yes" as confirmation.  That requirement results in the warnings and in users having to apply the steps above.

Once you set the questions to "Yes" the warning should no longer appear and you should be able to NetFile the return.

I hope this answers your question and that you have a great day.

The question does not relate to whether the spouse has income for 2015.

The question relates to:

- whether the spouse or common-law partner amount (Field 303) is Nil

- whether the amount transferred from your spouse or common law partner (Field 326) is Nil.

So if the Family Head refers to his spouse's return and sees that Fields 303 and 326 of Schedule 1 are Nil  then the Family Head would answer "Yes" to both questions.

I hope this clarifies things and that you have a great day.