Français
Sign in to follow this  
MAE

Fraudulent email from CRA

Within one hour of filing my return from the UFile /netfile website I received an email from "CRA" advising me to access my refund by clicking on an e-transfer link. This link would expire today, March 20th. Since CRA has never sent my refund this way alarm bells were ringing. Clicking on the Canada Revenue Agency header the address revealed was karen.gonzalez@aus.xerox.com??? Anyone else have issues?

Hi,

CRA and UFile would never issue such an email so you were absolutely correct in being suspicious.  Taxpayers should never click on the provided links as there have been numerous instances where, for example, the links have lead users to deceptive sites.  I would recommend you forward the email in question to CRA so that they are aware of it should they wish to pursue further action.

You handled the situation well and we appreciate the information so that we may all be extra vigilant.

I thank you and hope you have a great day.

Hi MAE,

I found the following text on the CRA web site.

Some recent email scams involve telling you that you are entitled to a refund of a specific amount or telling you that your tax assessment has been verified and you are getting a tax refund. These emails often have CRA logos or Internet links that look official. Some contain obvious grammar or spelling mistakes.

You can access the applicable information here:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/nwsrm/lrts/2015/l150227-eng.html

Additional information may be found here:

http://recherche-search.gc.ca/rGs/s_r?q=fradualent+email&cdn=cra&st=s&num=10&langs=eng&st1rt=0&s5bm3ts21rch=x

The scam is sent out to numerous people and the information within it is bogus.  Whether the information seems correct or it is completely wrong (but you believe you should attempt to rectify the error) the idea is to have you click on the attached link.  The impact of doing so will vary based on the scam.

Per your original email though I believe you have nothing to worry about as you took appropriate action.

I hope this answers your question and that you have a great day.  

Great, I'm feeling better about this. It was a close call for me. Some scammer obviously was aware of my filing from your website to Netfile and the refund amount was very close to what was expected. I think your users deserve a notification about this issue.

Hi Blagor,

Thanks for letting us know!

Moreover, you can see other types of scams at:

http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) is the central agency in Canada that collects information and criminal intelligence on such matters as mass marketing fraud (e.g., telemarketing), advance fee fraud (e.g., West African letters), Internet fraud and identification theft complaints.