alexo

I don't know why I still use it, I should stop

Ufile is getting quite horrible.

- The help is completely useless, often consisting of a single line that just repeats the field's title.

- The navigation is bad, there is no way to search for a topic and have the application jump to the right page.

- Stupid bugs.  For example, the "A response indicating whether you are a Canadian citizen is required" error.

- SimpleTax is free.

At UFile, we are always trying to innovate without dramatically changing the interface users enjoy.   

This tax season, the UFile tax program has undergone a number of changes designed to give immediate feedback while entering information and to provide added certainty that no tax saving opportunities have been missed.

The restructured interview setup uses easier to understand categories of income and deductions.  More graphics have been added for a more fun and stimulating user experience.

UFile’s new, updated interview is now more interactive.  Any entry errors or messages to the user are displayed immediately and clearly identified. Input can be easily changed as a single click returns the user to the appropriate  field.

For Quebec users, amounts that differ for Quebec are easier to identify and enter into UFile’s improved data entry screens.

On selecting to Review, users will find a new, easy-to-read summary that highlights the important lines to focus on, namely the Federal return summary. Residents of Quebec will also have a Quebec return summary.

The Review screen also contains an important link to Tax Saving Ideas based on the taxpayer’s life stage, geographical location and other indicators identified by UFile.

We are confident that UFile users will become accustomed to the changes and appreciate these added functionality and features.

Unfortunately, SimpleTax does not support provincial Québec tax returns yet. I was about to make the switch because I find this new version of UFile buggy and frustrating to use. I have used the online version faithfully since I submitted my first return in 1999 with UFile.

UFile has been so user-friendly for so many years and then ... this? I honestly think something as complicated and personal as income tax returns should see incremental changes ... not so radical as this version without any notice. Honestly, I only found out for the first time when I came to do what I thought was rather a straightforward return on May 1. I don't think I can finish it tonight because I have run into several obstacles.

Gaetan said, "We are confident that UFile users will become accustomed to the changes and appreciate these added functionality and features." Sadly, I think the development team was too confident.  :angry:

I never post on forums but think this needs to be said. The changes to Ufile this year were a little too much. There were many times we were unsure of what to answer so we left boxes blank. We completed our return not knowing if it was done correctly or not! The whole issue around the "family tax credit" process (another post dedicated to that - now closed or my comment would have been there)left us with no choice but not to claim it because we kept getting an error and couldn't submit until it was cleared. I later called CRA and was told to complete a T-1 adjustment form and write a letter explaining why I'm now trying to claim the family tax cut. I now have to complete additional work and will be indicating on my letter to the CRA that the whole process was unclear in this years software version. Been a user for many years, afraid this was the last year! I'd rather take it to an accountant or tax return business so I'm confident its done right!