Sign in to follow this  
A&B

Family Tax Credit Problem when family-head is the nil-income

We used last year's UFile record to kick start the 2015 return. That left me as the family-head, but now I'm a stay at home writer/soccer dad. My income is lower than the basic personal exemption so I selected 'claim the family tax cut in spouse' which seems to indicate, at least a little, that the spouse is going to be claiming the cut from her income. It seems to calculate on her return, but now we have errors demanding that she go to the family-head file and, under maxback-controls, confirm that my taxable income is nil.

The 'click here' link takes her to her own file (not the family-head file) where she's already confirmed I have nil taxable income. The warning did say to make the changes to the family-head file even though the link took her to her own file, where she's already clicked yes.

If I go to the family-head file and say yes to nil-income-spouse, the warnings don't go away, and then I'm claiming my spouse is nil-income which is incorrect.

I'm wondering if this actually works for claim in spouse. 

If it's bugged, is there a way to change which one is the family-head file?

Also, when we confirm in the FTC section of Sched 1-a that we have dependants, we get error messages because we havent declared uccb benefits. Do we just enter zero for that if we haven't recieved any?

Hi A&B,

Under the new requirements of the CRA, you must confirm that either the Federal Schedule 2 (line 351) or the provincial Schedule 2 (line 5912) is NIL.

In the "Review" tab, when the message, "You have to confirm that your spouse's adjusted taxable income is Nil"is displayed, you must return to the "Interview" tab of the family head to correct the problem.

In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select "Controls " on your right, go to the bottom of the page and you will find the line "If applicable (click ? For details), please select Yes to confirm that your spouse's adjusted taxable income is NIL". From the drop-down menu on your right, choose "Yes''.

You will notice that you have a second (2) line for "Provincial /Territorial". Repeat this procedure.

Thereafter, you may proceed to file your federal return using NETFILE/EFILE.

On 4/26/2016 at 2:42 AM, A&B said:

We used last year's UFile record to kick start the 2015 return. That left me as the family-head, but now I'm a stay at home writer/soccer dad. My income is lower than the basic personal exemption so I selected 'claim the family tax cut in spouse' which seems to indicate, at least a little, that the spouse is going to be claiming the cut from her income. It seems to calculate on her return, but now we have errors demanding that she go to the family-head file and, under maxback-controls, confirm that my taxable income is nil. Accounting companies near me http://yourbooksontime.com/accounting-firms The 'click here' link takes her to her own file (not the family-head file) where she's already confirmed I have nil taxable income. The warning did say to make the changes to the family-head file even though the link took her to her own file, where she's already clicked yes. If I go to the family-head file and say yes to nil-income-spouse, the warnings don't go away, and then I'm claiming my spouse is nil-income which is incorrect.

I'm wondering if this actually works for claim in spouse. 

If it's bugged, is there a way to change which one is the family-head file?

Also, when we confirm in the FTC section of Sched 1-a that we have dependants, we get error messages because we havent declared uccb benefits. Do we just enter zero for that if we haven't recieved any?

have you sorted out the question?