Français
Silent Typewriter

Marital Status Change

My husband passed away in 2015, resulting in a change in my marital status.

On my return, I selected the option that says "Taxpayer became widowed" and put in the date of death. On my husband's return, I checked off the option that it was a return for a deceased person and put in the date of death. However, when I click on "Review", Ufile keeps tellin gme that it cannot calculate a tax return for me becuase there was an error for my husband. For my husband, it says "You reported a change in marital status during the year which is incompatible with your marital status on December 31, 2015.

Please advise. Thank you.

Please accept our condolences.

You can file the return for a person who passed away in the tax year and was the designated family head. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. In the ''Left side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Identification" page and for the question "Did your marital status change in 2016?" reply "No change" because the deceased person does not change their marital status;.

2. Still in the "Left side menu on the Interview tab", click on "Interview setup" and on the page that appears to the right, check the box for "Tax return for a deceased person". Also, choose the group needed to complete your tax return and click on "Next" at the bottom of the page.

3. Return to the "Left side menu on the Interview tab" and click on "Deceased".

4. Complete the page by entering the date of death and specify whether it is a final return, if applicable.

In the spouse's file, the program will generate the "Marital status change" in the "Left side menu on the Interview tab".

Enter the required information in the "Change of marital status in 2016" mainly on the line "Change in your marital status in 2016" in the drop down menu on your right, choose "Taxpayer became widowed" and enter the date of death of your spouse.

Also, the program will automatically generate the widowed marital status on page 1 of the federal return and for residents of Quebec, on page 1 of the Quebec return to the section "Information about your spouse December 31 2016 " will be entered on line 37 the date of the of death of the family head.

NOTE - You cannot NETFILE the tax return of a deceased individual, as per CRA rules. You must print and mail it. (However, if you are a professional tax preparer, you can file the return through EFILE.

However, for residents of Quebec, you can file your Quebec tax return through NetFile Québec.