Français
Sign in to follow this  
mammasan

Quebec tax shield (new 2016)

Both my income and my spouse's went up in 2016.

Can someone assist me what is the best to select in drop down menu when asked:

If eligible, do you wish to claim the Quebec tax shield? If you do, select who should claim the credit.

Family head (me), Spouse, or share?

Thank you

Hello mammasan,

To encourage workers to remain in the labour market or to integrate it, the Government of Québec introduced a new refundable tax credit, entitled "Tax Shield" as of the 2016 tax year.

For eligibility, please see page 3 of the following link

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/documents/en/formulaires/tp/tp-1029.bf-v(2016-10).pdf

To claim this refundable credit, please follow the procedure below:

1. In the "Left-side menu on the Interview tab", select the "Revenu Québec questions".

2. On the page that appears, go to "Quebec tax shield (new 2016)" section on the line "Do you wish to claim the Quebec tax shield?".

3. If you are a couple, choose the option that applies to your situation in the drop-down menu located in the field to your right. If you are single, you must answer "Yes" or "No".

4. On the line "Select how you want to claim the Tax Shield", choose the method you want to use.

5. If you choose "I want to enter the prior year information", we recommend that you carefully read the "Note" section.

You must enter all the information required by Revenu Québec to properly calculate the amount of credit granted for the "Quebec Tax Shield". If you do not have all the required information, or if you have doubts about certain information, then it is possible that the credit claimed on line 460 of your Quebec return is inaccurate.

We suggest that you allow Revenu Québec to calculate for you the amount of credit to which you are entitled.

Hi Gaetan,

I had already answered all the questions in the Tax Shield part except I needed some guidance on which choice to make on who should claim it. Family head, spouse or share.

I hope someone can provide some tips on this.

Thank you.