Français
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Line 214 Shows Blank, both Parents and Child

I added a child as a family member and input all day care information. All persons' interview sections were set up as determined by program or recommended.

However, the results of both parents and the child, all have the same that Line 214 shows blank. Could you please tell me whether it is normal or I missed any step?

Thank you.

--------------------------------

For your information, below are steps I followed to create a dependent (from previous year's support):

In order to claim child care expenses, you must input the expenses in the child's file.

To create a tax file for the child, please follow the steps below:

1 - Click on "Add Member" in the "Family members" section in the upper left corner of the "Interview" tab.
2 - On the page that appears to the right, click "Add a dependant" and enter the data pertaining to the identification of the dependant.

Once you have created the child's file, enter the child care expenses through the following steps:

1 - In the "QuikClik Navigator" of the child's file, located on the left-hand side of the screen, select "Child care".
2 - On the page appearing on the right, select the type of child care service provided (daycare, summer camp, boarding school, babysitter) and fill out the fields accordingly.

For Quebec residents, if you received an RL-24 slip only, Box C will display the eligible federal expense and Box E the eligible Quebec expense.

The program will determine the eligibility and the amount of the deduction by applying the relevant limits.

As indicated in the T1 General Guide, line 214:

Child care expenses must be claimed by the parent who has the lower net income.

Furthermore, part or all of the income must be "earned income" as defined in Form T778, Child care expenses, page 2

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t778/t778-16e.pdf

If the income of the lower net income parent is zero (0.00) or does not contain any earned income, no claim can be made for Child care expenses.

• 2 months later...

As indicated in the T1 General Guide, line 214:

Child care expenses must be claimed by the parent who has the lower net income.

Furthermore, part or all of the income must be "earned income" as defined in Form T778, Child care expenses, page 2

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t778/t778-16e.pdf

If the income of the lower net income parent is zero (0.00) or does not contain any earned income, no claim can be made for Child care expenses.

For the "$0 for earned income" ... be that as it may, it would still be prudent for uFile to provide it and show it in the math when generating the PDF. As an end user, if I enter a value, I expect to see the results of that calculated value. Even if T778 shows $0 deductible, it would alleviate the questions that have popped up on the community forums.